poisonous plant?

karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

poisonous plant?

Post by karenz »

So I accidentally left the gate to the living room open and Xander evidently got hold of my aloe plant. It was completely shredded. I don't think he actually sat there eating it but I'm sure he swallowed at least a little bit. He has been acting fine.

I read online that it is toxic. I was wondering if anyone knew how toxic or how much would be toxic. Or how long after eating it that he could have problems. I'm guessing he did this a couple hours ago. So far he is fine. I will be staying up and watching him for awhile. I just wanted to know how long before I don't have to worry about it effecting him. Thanks
Karen & Xander
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Re: poisonous plant?

Post by karenz »

Xander is still fine so I'm hoping that whatever could've happened has passed. I'm am still curious if anyone has any specific knowledge about aloe plants.
Karen & Xander
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

From what I've read, the gel isn't the toxic part, it's the white latex in the leaves that is. Does this help?

http://www.pilchuckvet.com/articles/fol ... -aloe-vera
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

Thanks Mobil! That was more informative than any of the ones I found. I couldn't ever find what part was the toxic part. I don't think he ate it, just swallowed what was in his mouth as he ripped it apart. He has been fine so hopefully all is well. Thanks
Karen & Xander
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

My father grows aloe and H used to shred it when he was little and we would visit. The gel will give them dire rear if ingested in large enough amounts. As long as the whole leaf isn't gone, you should be fine. I always understood the gel = dire rear and the actual plant bulb/leaf was the dangerous part.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

Thanks Owned-By-Hendrix. I think mostly he just shredded it. He didn't get dire rear. I was trying to learn about it because I have a forest full of aloe plants. The original is my grandma's. We've been keeping it going since I was a kid. She had It since befrole I was born. I hope he won't get into them again. But who knows with these guys. Lol
Karen & Xander
deadrabbits
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: First Dutch owned. Was bought for my daughter and the family. Currently going through obedience classes. I am former military and currently working for a law enforcement agency. Have had labs most of my life and a friend introduced me to his Dutch and my family fell in love. Our current one is a female named pepper and is just now 3 months old. I would like to possibly train her for search and rescue

Post by deadrabbits »

We have a BUNCH of aloe on our property and pepper gets into it when I have my back turned since she knows she's not supposed too and it's never made her sick just a little bit of the runs. Same thing as H she just shreds it
Casey and pepper----- Mr H's long lost sister