1st bee sting = anaphylactic shock

Tripmomma
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My family welcomed our first DSD 12/14. I have shown GSD's and APBT's in conformation, my goal is to have more of a working interest with our Dutchie. My husband and I have 4 young children, Kitsune adores them. Kitsune has begun IPO training, we hope to get her BH in 2016. We are in love with this breed and have plans to import a male pup soon.

1st bee sting = anaphylactic shock

Post by Tripmomma »

Kitsune gave me a scare today.
I didn't know dogs could go into anaphylactic shock, my other dogs just needed a little Benadryl when they got stung. So scary, I thought she was a goner. Her gums were as white as her teeth, she was throwing up and her face was lumpy and swollen. I was a mess. When I saw her face I thought bee sting...but the white gums really freaked me out. A shot of benadryl and a shot of steroids later she is doing well...she will be on benadryl for the next 3 days.

Is this a Dutchie thing...never had a dog get anything more than some lumps from a sting. Guess we are going to have to watch her around bees...grr.
~*~Katrina~*~
Kitsune de las Flores 10/14
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: 1st bee sting = anaphylactic shock

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I think it mainly depends on the dog...? I know some dogs can have anaphylactic reactions to anything, just like humans, but per se a DS thing... Not too sure. I do know the body has to have some exposure prior to the anaphylaxis. In humans I know the reaction to the allergen can also sometimes depend on amount of allergen, how many previous exposures, as well as if the immune system is already stressed. On a perfect day I'm not very reactive to avocados, but on a day where my allergies are going full blast for a few days, I can go into a mild anaphylactic reaction from the least amount of avocado.

I do know that in humans, bee venom does have cross reactants to other type of insect venom (wasp, fire ant, and I think some spiders), so I would keep an eye on insect bites and her, just to be safe. For my own curiosity, did the vet tell you anything to do in case she is stung again?
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Tripmomma
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My family welcomed our first DSD 12/14. I have shown GSD's and APBT's in conformation, my goal is to have more of a working interest with our Dutchie. My husband and I have 4 young children, Kitsune adores them. Kitsune has begun IPO training, we hope to get her BH in 2016. We are in love with this breed and have plans to import a male pup soon.

Post by Tripmomma »

The vet said it is best to get Kitsune in for those shots again (benadryl and steroids) if it happens again, but she also gave us some steroid pills and told us to keep them and a bottle of benadryl with us for when we can't get to a vet (camping, at the beach...etc). She is not sure if Kitsunes reactions will get worse, better or stay the same. I do have a friend who carries a childs epi pen for her dog...we may end up doing that if her reactions get worse.
~*~Katrina~*~
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Oh geeze, that must've been scary.

My dogs eat bees. Every chance they get. They get stung, but those suckers must be delicious, because it doesn't deter them in the slightest.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Tripmomma
Green Dog

Post by Tripmomma »

Hahaha dogs are crazy.
~*~Katrina~*~
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

it might well turn out that she gets less allergic as she leaves early puppyhood. approaching adulthood usually lessens allergic sensitivity in dogs, in humans, etc. reactivity that existed at a young age can all but disappear. so lets hope this reaction is more a function of her age than underlying proclivities. good you are prepared.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Tripmomma
Green Dog

Post by Tripmomma »

Good to know, thanks.
~*~Katrina~*~