Pigment loss on lips

Amwinkler91
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a recent college graduate and adopted a puppy last fall (2014). She is a bit of a mystery and I'm looking to gain more information about potential breeds and the health problems we may encounter during her life. She is a lovely 6 month old brindled dog. We were originally told she was a shepherd and hound mix but we aren't so sure. Her name is Daenerys.

Pigment loss on lips

Post by Amwinkler91 »

Hey everyone, wondering if anyone has ever seen this before, Daenerys has a pink spot on her lip, almost like depigmentation but I'm wondering why this may be?? She plays with a smaller dog and I've seen the smaller dog nip at her jowls, scar tissue? Not oozing, itchy or irritating her in anyway which is why I'm not too worried. Will post a photo soon. Also, if this info helps, she is 8 months and 48 pounds.
Alyssa Winkler
Amwinkler91
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a recent college graduate and adopted a puppy last fall (2014). She is a bit of a mystery and I'm looking to gain more information about potential breeds and the health problems we may encounter during her life. She is a lovely 6 month old brindled dog. We were originally told she was a shepherd and hound mix but we aren't so sure. Her name is Daenerys.

Re: Pigment loss on lips

Post by Amwinkler91 »

Alyssa Winkler
Amwinkler91
Just Whelped

Post by Amwinkler91 »

Ok did a little research, here's the one thing that is sticking out to me: lip fold pyoderma ? Common in GSD due to drooling or food debris in the jowls that basically rub the lip raw. Anyone have experience with this? Saw most people used penaten baby cream to fix it?
Alyssa Winkler
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

There's an ancient thread on this board about this (or it's buried in a non-related thread, but I do think it was posted as a topic). As I recall, general consensus was due to rubbing (think tugging, rubber toys, etc.). My guy has a lot of it. He had it when we adopted him at 18-months and he's 6 1/2 years now. I've never put anything on it. It doesn't bother him.

Is that the extent of it on your dog, that one spot?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
BryanKSchraven
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a newly proud owner of a 9 week old Dutch Shepherd.

Post by BryanKSchraven »

Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryan I presume... Love the name.
Amwinkler91
Just Whelped

Post by Amwinkler91 »

Raven wrote: Is that the extent of it on your dog, that one spot?
Yes that is the only spot its showing. I ordered some of that Penaten cream from amazon and I've been using it for a couple days and its making it look less red and dry. It doesn't seem to bother her, no change in eating habits or playfulness. I'm sure its from her rope toys rubbing on her lips. Good to know that your pooch hasn't been effected by it. Thanks! :)
Alyssa Winkler
Amwinkler91
Just Whelped

Post by Amwinkler91 »

BryanKSchraven wrote:Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryan I presume... Love the name.
Yesss! :) She is a sassy Khaleesi
Alyssa Winkler
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

H gets these occasionally... I don't worry unless I see pain, significant balloon swelling, tons more popping up, or some sort of raised bump or something indicating its an insect sting. If it's an insect I worry more but that's just me and my hatred of bugs. :)
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Amwinkler91
Just Whelped

Post by Amwinkler91 »

Thanks all for your input and easing my worries! Used that penatem cream stuff and her lip is completely back to normal. It did scab up at one point but she didn't seem to care, just wanted to make sure it didn't go super crazy and spread around. Thanks again!!!
Alyssa Winkler