Gagging

RosieCoppolo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Names Rosie, 19 from london. Just recently got a female puppy DS and was looking for other people who are DS owners as they are very far and few between in the UK (Everyone seems to think she is a GS cross and wont believe me when I say DS because they have never heard of the breed before lol)

Gagging

Post by RosieCoppolo »

Hi all, Dolly has been gagging since last night and about 5 or 6 times she brings up this thick spit stuff, but she's not bringing up any food and she's not acting different (still play fighting with my other dog and eating fine) just wondering if anyone had any idea what it could be? I was think maybe she scratched her throat? She does eat everything in sight lol So if anyone could suggest anything that could cause this it would be much appreciated! Thanks
Rose
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Gagging

Post by Dutchringgirl »

i hope she is okay this morning, but, If she keeps it up I would bring her to the vet. My first thought would be a blockage since she eats everything, but if food is getting by then either its not or could be a partial. I would keep her quiet though, Id be worried of a twisted gut or if there is something in there it could tear, but thats talking from the horse lady part of me. Id say , vet check.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
RosieCoppolo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Names Rosie, 19 from london. Just recently got a female puppy DS and was looking for other people who are DS owners as they are very far and few between in the UK (Everyone seems to think she is a GS cross and wont believe me when I say DS because they have never heard of the breed before lol)

Post by RosieCoppolo »

Thanks Lisa, i'm hoping maybe its just a bit of a cough or a scratched throat, i'll see how she goes today (its sunday so vets are closed) i'm going to get her some honey and lemon later to see if it soothes her throat if it is a cough or scratch. I hope its not but if it is a twisted gut wouldn't she be showing other signs? Thanks again

P.s she just coughed up a bit of foam (from the sofa that she's destroyed) so hopefully it was that that was causing it and she'll stop now. I'll keep u updated!
Rose
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadie, only twice so far, had a foamy barf, but it was from a bit much food. although there are plenty of acorns and other goodies in her poop. Bloat would be the closets equivalent to the horses colic - twisted gut-. i would keep her quiet though. It sucks when stuff happens on a sunday.
ImageImage
RosieCoppolo
Puppy

Post by RosieCoppolo »

No it wasn't "foamy" it was an actual bit of foam from inside the sofa lol Her belly don't look bloated but if she carries on tomorrow i will take her to the vet. Thanks for the advice!
Rose
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ok, i read thick spit stuff and foam, sorry. On my second cup of coffee now so I should be a bit more awake. Good, i would keep her quiet today and see how she goes.
ImageImage
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

keep a close eye on her, specially bloating belly, if she looks bloated, go to the vet straight away, even on sunday eve or whatever, it could save her life ;) If she is still gaggaing moday I would have her checked out, something could be stuck somewhere?
RosieCoppolo
Puppy

Post by RosieCoppolo »

yeah i'm keeping an eye on he belly its not bloated at all at the moment! And she hasn't gagged for about an hour now (since she coughed up that bit of foam) so hopefully alls good now :D fingers crossed!
Rose
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

hopefully that was it ;)
RosieCoppolo
Puppy

Post by RosieCoppolo »

Just to let you all know Dolly's been fine since she coughed that up so i think we're all good :D Naughtiest little girl in world, eats everything! She nabbed a potato off my plate today :club: haha
Rose
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

:dschick: Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Naughty puppy
ImageImage
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

I can almost picture her coughing up the foam... I would imagine that it is pretty dry. Gwen also eats EVERYTHING.... I used to have a helluva time keeping her from eating the mulch when she was just a pup. The only thing I have found that she wont eat is mushrooms. Everything else seems to be fair game, fruit, veges, oatmeal, hot spicy stuff... She recently raided the cat box while I was away and my husband forgot to baby gate the room. I hear tell it was a bad mess later in the day. Poor girl. She has recovered quite nicely I only wish she could associate being so sick with raiding the cat box. :dsdoubt:
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

my dog Ivil once got a small pluche Duck with a sqeeuky in it for X-mas. After throwing it up in the air all day, it suddenly disappeared :dsroll: The next day I found a puddle of goo with a sqeeuky floating in it :eew: So I figured she had chewed it up and pulled out the sqeeuker, but where was the Duck? I checked her poo for e yellow beak a couple of days, but no sign of the Duck? Maybe she had puked it out during a walk or something, but I could hardly imagin that I had missed that...
Anyway, life went on, untill almost 3 weeks (?!!) later, I came downstairs to find another pool of slimy stuff, with a perfectly clean, yet slimy Duckling in it :dsshock: It had been in her stomach all this time, without passing into the intestins, yet her food did?! Really amazing how a dog's stomach works... So no more small pluche toys here (it was a gift, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place...)
Same thing when they eat raw bones, how can they only puke out the piece of bone, and not the meat? Amazing... :dsdoubt:
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

When my son was very young, I thought my GSD Lonnie ate a box of his(my son) chunky fat crayons ( he had a habit of eating them and he would have very colorful poop) I found them a few weeks later shoved down my bathroom sink along with some sidewalk chalk. .... compliments of my two and a half year old child..... (finally something Lonnie didn't do)

Gwen had a stuffed toy for months after I first picked up my wiggly package at the airport, I was telling someone how amazed I was that she had not destroyed and eaten it yet. That night she promptly gutted and shredded it. So much stuff has been released from Gwen's backside I have lost track ... At least she hasn't started eating my books .. or shoes.... :dschick:
Kristie
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Kristie Elliott wrote:When my son was very young, I thought my GSD Lonnie ate a box of his(my son) chunky fat crayons ( he had a habit of eating them and he would have very colorful poop) I found them a few weeks later shoved down my bathroom sink along with some sidewalk chalk. .... compliments of my two and a half year old child..... (finally something Lonnie didn't do)

.. At least she hasn't started eating my books .. or shoes.... :dschick:
Oh yeh, I remember when my now old GSD was a pup and got ahold of the crayon box and we had a yard of very colorful land mines for several days afterward!! :shit: :puke:

You realize that you just 'jinxed' it all by saying that she hasnt yet 'started' eating your books or shoes yet?!!?! :hammer: :puke:

:muffy:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Kristie E
Training Dog

Post by Kristie E »

:dsrazz: lol Yes, I realize I may have jinxed myself... It makes me think of the day that our Dane picked up one of my Italian leather boots and started walking to the couch with it. I was on the phone with my sister and I remember saying to her "OMG I have TO GO." I called her back later to explain. I imagine she thought someone had died. Gwen tends to like paper products, pictures, boxes..... etc so I am sure at some point my books are on the hit list. I explained to her at some length that my shoes were off limits (no room for misinterpretation there). :whistle: She will grab anything she can out of my husbands hands and run with it... :ds: she likes the game... Bad Gwen....
Kristie
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadies poops are quite colorful too!! My kids love to leave the crayons around and sadie will quickly clean them up. When she comes up with me to get dressed, she is not allowed in my closet, my shoes are on the bottom shelf and I know she will think she just hit the jackpot and is surrounded by chew toys. Thalie did a good job of destroying all of the plush squeaky toys before Sadie arrived, if it cant be destroyed Thalie wont play with it.
ImageImage