Hip dysplasia

fetch
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dutch and Malinois owner.

Hip dysplasia

Post by fetch »

During my recent "What DS puppy/adult/rescue is currently available?" Googlethon, I found this image:
4805370 copy.jpg
(clicking enlarges)

In my opinion only, since I don't have radiographs, that is a pretty darn classic HD bunny hop captured mid-stride on level ground.

Confirmed dysplastic bunny hop can be seen here for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpqBWX3S2nw

I felt it was relevant enough to share as an educational blurb. When looking at puppies, always ask if the breeding pair have had their hips evaluated. If told yes, always ask to see the OFA results in order to confirm them for yourself.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Hip dysplasia

Post by Dutchringgirl »

looking at a random picture with out a video or explanation dosnt mean HD. I have seen thalie do funny things and she is clean.
While stopping pretty quick the back end will hop.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

In my experience with MWD we see this type of gait from time to time and it has been confirmed through rad,s that HD is not present. That hippy hop can be caused by a number of things such as terrain, something pinching a pad. When purchasing new dogs breeders who offer OFA results two generations back is very helpful.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
dogbyte
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have been owned by German Shepherd Dogs for over 20 years. I have come to the dark side with my first Dutch Shepherd. Rossi is an almost 11 month old female from Land of Oz kennel. I have a 10 year old GSD and an 8 year old.

Post by dogbyte »

Rossi's hip issue presents in a very unusual way. She actually pulls the left leg up sight and quickly, hopping on the right. We really thought this was a patella or hock issue. But the left hip is only 50% in the socket.. the right 75% in. I found if i limit the squirrel herding that she doesn't hop as much..she will run full out in drive, some bunny hopping, but when trotting she will suddenly jerk that leg up and hop...started showing this at 19 months.
cathy,jaden,gracie & rossi with xara, chance and zoey forever snuggled deep inside my heart
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadie has double HD so she waddles. She will run full out and turn and jump but only for a bit. She dosnt do the hopping gait but turn her hips side to side.
ImageImage
fetch
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dutch and Malinois owner.

Post by fetch »

I wish I hadn't had a moment of unusual "Maybe I shouldn't..." immediately after the first clicking of submit and edited this post before others read it. The picture came off the webpage of breeder whose website hit turns up early in the search engines. Oh, well. Live and learn.

Personally one-off to handful of anecdotes aside, the fact remains a bunny hopping gait IS classic for HD. If I were trying to convince prospective buyers my breeding stud was what I claimed he was, I personally would not select that photo to showcase him.

My experience with MWDs and other GOAs is that we took multiple normal elbow and hip rads during the lifecycle of those dogs but consistently missed cases of DLI until they were clinical (i.e., we missed the telltale radiographic changes we could/should have caught). (:
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

That is just not a good picture in general, I also would not have used that picture.
ImageImage