What's up - literally?

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

What's up - literally?

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

So I've been noticing H staring at lights recently. In the house I'll catch him looking straight up at the ceiling, usually in the direction of a light, for maybe a second or two, then he lowers his head. Doesn't seem scared or anxious, just focused, then moves on. He does get eye buggers in the morning so I'm wondering if it's a floater or possibly something in the attic (we had a possum encounter the other night) however I hear nothing and technically the attic should be rodent sealed. It's not all the time but I am noticing it a bit more over the last two weeks as he's never done it before. The lights aren't majorly flickering or anything to cast a shadow.

Besides something from the Grudge stalking me, anyone have any ideas? I'll keep an eye on it either way but want to make sure it's not a red flag or possible OCD behavior starting.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: What's up - literally?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

How old is He? maybe the floaters?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Almost 3. I went up to the attic and where he's staring has no attic space, just roof. I didn't see any wildlife but then again I wasn't looking too hard because the attic is damn creepy! Okay I've really just seen too many horror movies... :whistle:
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Thor does it. I'm not sharing why publicly. :o
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

I keep telling him if something jumps on me without warning he is so dead. He seems to be focusing on something and it's specifically to a light fixture, on or off. He doesn't do it outside. Last night he was in the corner of the room, parallel to the light, paused, flicked his eyes up for a second then moved on. I'm trying not to make a big deal out of it, I just hope it's not the start of an OCD behavior. A friend pointed out it may be that the possum jumped on him from overhead or there's a new frequency coming from the light. Just really weird.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Any of those horror films you watch have the dog see a spirit in the house and the humans are unaware? ;)
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Almost all of them. The animals are always the first to know. :whistle: :g_wink:

Although if my house burns down from an electrical fire I'm gonna be SO mad I didn't listen to him. He's smarter than me most days...
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

k9lexi wrote:Any of those horror films you watch have the dog see a spirit in the house and the humans are unaware? ;)
actually it is true, animals are not closed to seeing other " things" like adults are. They are like kids, open to what ever is around.

Sadie is always staring at the ceiling or up somewhere, but being that its Sadie, Im not sure if she is in tune to other things, or........................She is being Sadie.

Is it a specific light? or does he do this to other lights.
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Every light on a ceiling, whether chandelier or fan or just fixture. Doesn't stare at the sun, sunspots, or shadows. No scones or porch lights. Just specifically the light fixture straight up. I've been marking all the noises that happen when I catch him looking, and he disengages faster, but then there's times where he's just... Glaring at it. Still short glances but I do wonder what's going on in his head. And I don't want to encourage it but at the same time I'm not sure ignoring it is the right way...
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sow, i have no idea.
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Lol me neither Lisa. Me neither. I'm debating on opening the alcohol closet... ;)
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

you mean you dont have an alcohol closet already??
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

Oh I do, just keep it locked up because life with DerpMiester is far too tempting to go shopping in the closet. Although my alcohol store does love me lol.

Still staring at lights but we seem to be focusing on corners in rooms and one particular light now. Which helps me think there is something in the attic except that one light...
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

oh...........there is something in the attic alright but not the house attic. :whistle: :doh:
ImageImage