Salt Water

karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Salt Water

Post by karenz »

So Xander had his first beach trip today. He had a great time. However he evidently ingested some salt water. He didn't drink it but I guess while playing and splashing around he got at least some. He had a spell of diahrea and threw up some water. He also drank plenty of fresh water during the day. In fact each time we got done playing in the ocean I would make him drink fresh water.

So now he seems fine. He is energetic and wants to play. My question is if he were going to have any serious problems from this is that something that would have already occurred or can it cause problems even hours days weeks after. Thanks
Karen & Xander
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Salt Water

Post by centrop67 »

I am lucky enough to live in close proximity to the ocean AND own a boat. I have always taken my dogs out to the sandbars - especially my Lab who couldn't get enough.

Dire-rear is definitely a result of saltwater intake, and unfortunately it's unavoidable. Dogs listen to 'don't drink the saltwater' as well as they listen to 'don't eat the sock.'

In my experience, the loose stool is short-lived, and I have never seen any long term effects. You did the right thing by making sure there was plenty of fresh water available.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I am not sure about something happening days later, I would doubt that but dont quote me. Its like if you swallowed too much water.

It is a good Idea to keep gasx around though for the gas it may produce to avoid bloating, or to relieve the discomfort of swallowing too much water.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

Thanks for the info. I do keep gasx at the house. If you could post and remind me the dosage that would be great.

It was short lived. I would have never thought the little bit of salt water he got would have caused diahrea and throwing up.

I kept a close eye on him last night for signs of dehydration but he seems fine. In fact he still wanted to go outside to play even after a long day on the beach and being I'll. I swear I think he would play ball until right until he fell over dead.
Karen & Xander
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

How far are yu from the beach?
karenz
Training Dog

Post by karenz »

k9lexi wrote:How far are yu from the beach?
About an hour and a half depending on which beach I go to. You would think I would go more often but it was the first time I went since summer before last other than a couple fishing trips on the boat.
Karen & Xander