Kidney Issues

karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Kidney Issues

Post by karenz »

I am looking for some suggestions for a healthy kidney diet for my dad's ds Mia. She is 12 years old and we have noticed that she is urinating more frequently and has had some accidents in the house.

I realize that a raw diet would be best but I am looking for suggestions on a kibble and maybe some supplements or holistic options. As my dad is 72 years old and it would be difficult for him to prepare raw meals for her. It is possible that I could help out occasionally with some raw meals but it's not something I could do everyday. I need some options to make it easy for him.

I have read that apple cider vinegar is helpful and I have read about some supplements but there are so many brands and options out there I'm hoping someone can recommend something.
Karen & Xander
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Kidney Issues

Post by TimL_168 »

You might want to get a vets opinion on protein content. I remember a vet telling me five or six years ago that a high protein diet isn't good for the kidneys unless you're REALLY working the dog. I'm not sure (at all) how congruent our systems are, but my father had renal failure and balancing the small amount of protein he needed to sustain muscle without giving too much was very difficult.
I wish you the best.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Kidney Issues

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I will diddo Tims advice on protien. Thalie is 14 and I find low protien food for her. You can also put him on Milk Thistle. Thalie has been on Proin for a long time too because she was leaking. Just something else to look into.

As far as food. there are many good quality foods so you dont have to deal with raw. I feed Orajen. Go on Dogfoodadvisor and do some checking there. Honest Kitchen also makes a great alternative.

You can feed him raw when you can and other foods when you cant do raw. Just dont feed raw and non raw in the same feeding.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage