En's got the mud butt

TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

En's got the mud butt

Post by TimL_168 »

En had been a little loose for a couple days starting mid week last week. Then...Saturday night happened. I got home to find fiery molten liquicrap oozing from her crate. She apparently started challenging her crate. The whole scene looked like something from a B movie.
She had a sign of improvement yesterday morning, but it was just one. Then more caramel.
Today was a repeat of Saturday.
Her attitude is 100% normal, except for being visibly nervous in the truck. I think that's because she's afraid she's going to mess up the truck.
A couple things happened last week. It snowed& she's begun licking her paws. Could it be the salt? She hasn't done it today after the rain. I switched formulas of food because they were out of her usual. En has had a cast iron gut for the year that I've had her. I doubt it's the food.
She got a bunch of stewed chicken during nosework. Maybe I just over fed her?
I'm trying to decide whether I should fast her for a meal or two, or just go straight into the chicken& rice. I also got some probiotic. Does anyone know if that can/should be taken on an empty stomach?
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: En's got the mud butt

Post by centrop67 »

Sorry to hear about En's digestive problems. You mentioned that you changed food. Was that before or after the problem?

Generally, the food switch causes problems when it involves a change in the filler - wheat vs. corn. Not knowing what type of food you give, I can't say for sure, but that could be part of the problem.

I have successfully used Imodium, but I don't remember the dosage - I'll usually look it up on the Internet if I need to.

The other thing you might consider is adding Pedialyte to En's water to help prevent dehydration.

I think your biggest concern is the length of time. A couple of days would be okay, but a full week is concerning. You may want to consider a vet trip if it doesn't clear up soon. There might be a parasite that won't clear up on its own.

Finally, I could be wrong, but I think the probiotic is preventative. I am not sure if it will help much after the fact.

I hope En feels better soon.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: En's got the mud butt

Post by TimL_168 »

Thanks Michael!
The food switch was from BB Large Breed Chicken & Rice to the Wilderness formula of the same. It's a switch I've done before with zero complications. Unless something's changing in her, it shouldn't be a problem. Her old owner feed her whatever quality kibble was on sale at the time, and the dog did just fine with it. I had asked specifically about it :)
I gave her some pepto, a pro biotic, and a small ration last night. She was firmer this morning. Same treatment at breakfast. I'm going home at lunch to check on her.
I was under the impression that the pro biotic can help to restore the proper fauna in the gut. I think the bottle I got indicates "for periodic use". I'll look into it!
I did consider the Pedialyte, but I didn't want to throw another unknown into the mix just yet. She's not quite to the point that I'm medically worried just yet, but she is due for her annual next month. I might bump it to this weekend if it persists. Aurora will get TERRIBLE mud butt after she gets into the trash or sneaks a cat turd from the yard(that's a whole other can of worms- I counted 5 cats in the yard behind mine last week. The lady was feeding them...they come over and crap all over my garden at night.). But Aurora's usually takes about a week to clear up.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor