Pyometra

TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Pyometra

Post by TimL_168 »

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/pyometra-in-dogs

Endeavor had her yearly check up yesterday. Her regular doc is out on maternity leave. I had to listen to the vet lecture me for maybe ten minutes on all the reasons En needs to be spayed. The one she kept coming back to was in the link above. The last intact dog I kept was the paragon of health. I ended up having her spayed when she was 7 or 8. There was no medical reason, other than me following the vet's recommendation. Sure got an infection from the surgery and almost died.
How serious of a threat is pyometra?
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Pyometra

Post by centrop67 »

I found this case study from 2004 - https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/11694827.pdf

Specifically, it was looking for age and breed trends for cases of Pyometra.

I recommend reading the study and making your own conclusions, but I have quoted some important parts here:
R. Hagman wrote:The results presented in this thesis yield the following conclusions:
• There are clear age- and breed-related differences in the incidence of pyometra
in bitches in Sweden, which should be taken into account when studying the
disease. It is probable that some breeds carry a higher genetic predisposition for
pyometra than other breeds. Given the different age patterns for risk, the
maximum or optimal age for elective spaying to prevent pyometra differs among
breeds.
R. Hagman wrote:The results of the present thesis verify that pyometra is an important disease in
intact bitches. Overall, almost 25% of the insured dog population had developed
pyometra by 10 years of age.
R. Hagman wrote:In Study III of the present thesis, the mean age for the sampled pyometra
bitches was 8.6 years and in Study V it was 9.9 years, which is similar to previous
studies (Dow, 1958; Hardy & Osborne, 1974). Interventions with for instance
steroid hormone compounds may increase the risk of pyometra even at younger
ages
PyometraStudyResults.jpg
PyometraStudyResults.jpg (83.34 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Let me just add that veteranarians have access to a wider range of studies that may be much more recent to what is available to the average public.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Thank you Michael! I'll read the study this eve. Some of those numbers are exactly what I wanted to know. You may have seen I asked the question on the fb owner's page. It turned into-well, I guess exactly what I should have expected.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:12 pm Thank you Michael! I'll read the study this eve. Some of those numbers are exactly what I wanted to know. You may have seen I asked the question on the fb owner's page. It turned into-well, I guess exactly what I should have expected.
and...........you expected different ??/ :eek:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Well, I hope for the best. I was hoping to get some more actual numbers, which I ended up getting from an emergency vet. So, I guess the fb post was a success.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

good, glad you found what you needed.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:50 am good, glad you found what you needed.
Thank you
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor