Hacking, licking

TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Hacking, licking

Post by TimL_168 »

En's got something going on. This is the third time she's had this hacking& licking fit where she compulsively plows through the house trying to swallow every single bit of hair, dust, and debris she can reach. She is clearly distressed. The first two times were outside after playing ball. I looked symptoms up and chalked it up to grass clippings on the ball getting into her throat/trachea. Note, she's just gone through it again indoors. I think she may have half swallowed a piece of Velcro that fell off of a seat cushion but I'm not sure. The fit lasts for a few minutes. This one is almost over. She's lying with me now, and calm. Still licking air kinda hard, but intervals are growing longer.
Anyone ever heard of anything like this?
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Re: Hacking, licking

Post by Joxgirl »

No. Haven't seen it either. Rogue eats grass, flowers, rocks, toy animal stuffing (jammed my fingers down her throat this morning to retrieve some fluff), and rolling hair balls. I'm surprised she hasn't hacked yet.
I hope En feels better soon. Keep us updated. Scary when all we can do is watch and wait.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

no! wow keep notes on what she did before, during, see if you can find a pattern. make sure there is nothing she can pick up. i have to do this because the basset is a vacuum. T&S are good that way. when my girls get crass in thier mouths the try to spit it up but dont do what your describing
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I have been keeping track of all the circumstances. I googled the symptoms when it first happened a few weeks ago. Hopefully it's nothing other than an irritation in the throat.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:27 pm I have been keeping track of all the circumstances. I googled the symptoms when it first happened a few weeks ago. Hopefully it's nothing other than an irritation in the throat.
I hope so too
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Naturalist say that aloevera will sooth irritable throats. They sell it in great tasting juices. I love the pineapple one. Maybe it can sooth En. If it can sooth humans.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Oh please don't give her Aloe. It's toxic and will at least result in bad diarrhea. "Never for Ingestion. Aloe contains saponins, elements that have a toxic effect on dogs if they eat them. In the Natural Health Bible for Dogs and Cats, veterinarian Shawn Messonnier notes that eating aloe vera can result in severe diarrhea for your dog."
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

No worries. I would'nt do that!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Wow did not know that. I drink it often. I will throw it out then. Too bad cause it felt like it helped when I use it.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

I'm so sorry I even made the suggestion. Keeping mouth shut, here on out.

How is En by the way?
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Joxgirl my SIL's dachshund Milo kept getting sick, couldn't figure out what it was. He played in the yard unattended regularly. We finally realized he was munching the tips of the Aloe plant they had around the corner and as soon as they moved it away from him he got better. That's how I came to know it, otherwise I wouldn't have known either.
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

I looked up Injestion of Aloe Vera. There are two sides to that health tip however cases say it could cause GI troubles and has caused cancer in test animal sooooooo, it's one that can be lived without.
I usually do pretty good digging around about foods. I have cut out so much already after reading about the risks so many have. I am ashamed I even suggested the aloe Vera now.
I'm glad you pointed it out.
I'm going to toss my juice out. It made great summertime drinks. But I don't need the risk.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

En is fine. She's got the scoots, but I'm pretty sure it's the new food. The Merrick I had given her before was rabbit. The big bag I just bought is chicken. Figured she's been on a chicken diet most of the time I've had her, might as well stick with chicken formula. She's also been completely fine eating just about anything made of food, so I don't get it. For the life of me, I can't recall if her first episode was before I started giving her the rabbit. That was only a month ago.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

I hope it clears up soon.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:14 am Wow did not know that. I drink it often. I will throw it out then. Too bad cause it felt like it helped when I use it.
its fine for humans but not for dogs and cats,
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

that is odd Tim. check the ingtedience. when sadie was younger i gave them Honest Kitchen as well, Sadie had gas that would kill an elephant, there was cabbage in there, when i switched to another with out, she was fine
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Gonna do a thorough check tonight
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

here goes: Merrick has significantly fewer ingredients than Aurora's Blue Buffalo. ASide from vitamins and other chemicals listed that I really didn't take the time to read through, the only thing in the Merrick that's NOT in Blue is turkey meal and a different set of gut enzymes. Now to compare to the rabbit formula that she did fine on.
Says right on Merrick's website that the only difference in foods of the same line is the protein. The Merrick also has two forms of salmon that the blue doesn't. But, En gets salmon treats without any problems...
this is all crap. I'm going to lay a trail. this crap is cutting in to training time.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor