Liquid stool

Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Liquid stool

Post by Joxgirl »

Rogue had a bout of liquid stool. She was fine except for that. Acted normal. Wanted to play but I kept it low key. Ate and drank fine. Nothing new except a new pumpkin fruit treat. I held the treats. Added some rice and banana and apple to her dinner once I saw that it wasn’t clearing up. She was able to alert me to go out and hold herself until we got to her spot to “go”. Took her to the vet. X-ray was negative. She looked well to them. Ordered Flagyl. Two doses, and she is passing formed normal stool.
My husband chatted with a K9 handler of a Dutchie and he states that this type stool is not uncommon when the dog gets stressed on a call. He keeps Flagyl on hand to start medicating as soon as the first squirt, otherwise it won’t clear up on its own.

Anyone else have experience with this?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Liquid stool

Post by centrop67 »

I can't believe it's been 22 days and no one replied.

How's Rogue doing? Hopefully, back to herself by now.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Ahhh thank you. She’s doing better thank you.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I must have missed the OP. Both my dogs will go loose DURING prolonged exercise. When Aurora gets in the trash or eats a pile of the neighbor's cat's crap from our garden she gets dire rear for a few days. I've taken to giving her a low dose of pepto to clear her up very quickly.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

For future reference:
Zoey has a very sensitive stomach. I try to keep her treats the same if they dont cause a loose stool. She has fequent loose stool and I've recently found a product called "Firm Up" which is essentially a dried pumpkin powder that you mix 1/1 with water and give to them. Now if i see her stool getting a little on the wet side I'll give her a tsp of the Firm Up and it clears right up. It really does work and its a nice alternative to just going straight to medications (flagyl)
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

We haven’t had any more issues with the liquid stool since that time back when. Thank you for sharing the Firm Up product. I will give it a try if needed.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

:wtg:
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor