K9 medical/wellness books.

rothjpkb
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: prior military, raising a beautiful DS for SAR.

K9 medical/wellness books.

Post by rothjpkb »

Hi everyone,

What, if any books do you guys recommend for K9 health and wellness?

So a little about myself I spent 8 years as an army medic, during that time we received a crash course in K9 tactical medicine. Now this week I found out Dex has a skin infection. Not a big deal vet got him some meds and Dex doesn’t mind at all. So it got me thinking Id have known what the infection was if it had been on a person and now Im wanting to get some books to study K9 health as a form of guidance.

Thank You

JP
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: K9 medical/wellness books.

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have never used any. My life is in horses and dogs anyway. But I usually use people stuff unless it is something that needed to have a vet look at. Then I will use what they recommend, Unless I have a chemical free version. Skin infections can be a few things , food allergies, allergies to something in the house, or dry skin. Is it a patch? all over? when did it start?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
BubblesboyBen
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I’ve recently left the Royal Marines after 11 years service and decided to take a new path. Along my journey in the corps I had the pleasure of meeting and serving with a few k9 hero’s. I live in the south west of England 0.8km from the coast on an active farm. As you can imagine I live an outdoors active lifestyle and recently I’m the proud parent of Suki my 8-week old (female) Dutch shepherd.

Re: K9 medical/wellness books.

Post by BubblesboyBen »

Hay JP

I'm in a similar situation, im a Royal Marine Medic and, and after 11years I decided to join the civilian ranks (OAMAAM). I have Suki (8 months old) and was looking for something similar. not that I feel Suki would be shot but if we are in a remote location id like to have the information to be able to keep her stable until I can get her to a vet.

I've come across a book that I'm trying to get a hard copy of but seems to be out of stock everywhere ist called K9 down (ISBN-10: 1503136841
ISBN-13: 978-1503136847) there is a kindle version which translates easily to the medical military mind. give it a look. if you find a copy anywhere please let me know.

failing that I've spoken to my local vets and they're willing to have a trade of information. ill show basic emergency skills on humans and they will show me canine.