Leptospirosis Vaccination?

borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Leptospirosis Vaccination?

Post by borellar15 »

I just wanted to see if some people here have gotten the lepto vaccine for their DS. I’ve heard it can commonly cause some adverse side effects and I just don’t know if it’s worth it. We take Zoey swimming a lot in the lake and green belt here in Austin. The water is always flowing but still I just want to be cautious but I’m not sure how she will react to the vaccine. She’s been pretty sensitive to vaccines ever since we got her. Every time she would get her next shot she would usually have diarrhea for a couple days. Any suggestions?
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Leptospirosis Vaccination?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

the only vaccines I do are rabies
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Lepto is carried in rodent urine and scat. That stuff is impossible to avoid. After seeing a friend's dog VERY nearly die from the disease, I do vaccinate against it. Neither of my dogs have shown any reactions to date. En is due for rabies and prob lepto, too. I'll let you know.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

TimL_168 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:39 am En is due for rabies and prob lepto, too. I'll let you know.
Thanks hopefully Endeavor doesn’t have a reaction. I know every dog will react differently but I do feel she should have it. Especially since there are a large number of bats that live in Austin too and make home to a bridge that’s over the river here.
Image Image
borellar15
Training Dog

Post by borellar15 »

The circle to the left is where we typically let her swim and the circle on the right is the south congress bridge commonly referred to as “the bat bridge” where hundreds of bats live and come out at night. The current does gently and slowly flow towards the bridge.
Image Image
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

I feel that if you go into undeveloped land with your dogs, especially in the southeast, lepto is a necessary vaccine (think hiking trails, river marshes, etc). Otherwise, you are safe without it. My DS has it because we go exploring together, but my little mutt does not because he prefers to chill at home.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

The dog that I knew that caught it was an English bulldog that lived in the city. Rats galore.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird »

TimL_168 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:11 pm The dog that I knew that caught it was an English bulldog that lived in the city. Rats galore.
Gross! I guess if you live somewhere like NYC which is notorious for rats, the vaccine would still be necessary lol.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

oddbird wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 pm
TimL_168 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:11 pm The dog that I knew that caught it was an English bulldog that lived in the city. Rats galore.
Gross! I guess if you live somewhere like NYC which is notorious for rats, the vaccine would still be necessary lol.
Baltimore.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor