Cushings Disease

icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Cushings Disease

Post by icvanstra »

Surgery update -

It is now eight days since her surgery and I am amazed at how well she is doing. Another week to go on limited exercise -- but if she had her way she would be tearing around the yard already.

Ran her the vet this morning to look at part of the incision because it looked different than the rest and because of a hot-spot she is developing right on her "callous pad" on hr right front leg.

She has been leaving the incision alone so I had not been putting the cone on her all the time when I was home. Abbie was licking some, but not her incision so I didn't think much of it. then yesterday I noticed the hotspot worsening. She wore the cone last night.

Once they trimmed away the fur they realized it wasn't as bad as it initially looked.

Restarted the antibiotics and a topical spray for the hotspot.

....and back to wearing the cone all the time.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Glad to hear she is ready to go, and good luck with the healing part.

How does she like wearing the cone?
Sue (and Sugar)

icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

She doesn't like it one bit, but she is tolerating it. I went to my pet store to look for one of the software e-collars but they were out. Truck was supposed to be there yesterday - going back this afternoon to look.

With this hotspot now ... she will probably be wearing an e-collar of some sort for awhile.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

I bet you guys will both be so happy when this healing time is passed.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

Took her in for her two week follow-up.

The vet was surprised at how well she is doing. Said that she is where most younger dogs would be at four weeks post surgery.

The hot-spot she worked up last week is healing very nicely as well. Thankfully they recommended that I start leaving the cone off more and just make sure she isn't going back at the hot-spot.

then I was chastised by the vet. She reminded me that even though Abby is doing better than expected, I still need to keep her activity down.

She has been feeling so well that I have been letting her (with some supervision) out in the yard more. In the very back of my yard there was a noxious plant that popped up on the fence line and it was heavy with tiny little burs. She had a big mass of them on her back right buttock and we had to take the clippers to her today to remove the mass of burs and matted hair. :stickman:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

Post by Sugars Mom »

So how is Abby doing these days?
Sue (and Sugar)

icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

A little over three weeks post surgery.

She is doing fantastic. I have stopped giving her the Rimadyl. The surgical wound is healed over and her fur is growing back nicely.

She does have a slight limp that become a little more pronounced after stopping the Rimadyl.

The one key thing that tells me she is feeling much better is that I keep finding her on the couch. Pre-surgery and definitely right after the surgery she wouldn't jump up on the couch or onto my bed. Now she is finally rejoining early morning cuddle time ... you know, the alarm clock hasn't gone off yet but the dogs are in your face wanting you to get up...
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

Glad to hear she is doing better : )
Sue (and Sugar)

icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

Had the one month post-surgery check up today as well as the annual visit.

The vet is VERY happy with her recovery.

Personally I knew that things were going very well when she started jumping up on the couch again and into bed with me again!!!

With some things I have realized I am not pushing her hard enough now and in others I may be letting her do too much...
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

:stickman: :stickman: :stickman:
Great news
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric