Hip Dysplasia

Shadymist Kennel
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I breed golden retrievers but have just bought my first dutchie puppy! She will be arriving next month and I am thrilled to be getting her! I hope to not only incorporate her into my home, my family and my pack, but also have her work as a protection dog against strangers and strange animals for my ever-trusting goldens. I just love this beautiful, intelligent breed!

Re: Hip Dysplasia

Post by Shadymist Kennel »

I'm curious Dutchringgirl, how is your dutchie doing these days, 6 years after her bilateral HD diagnosis?
I breed goldens, which you may or may not know, have a high incident of HD as a breeder, so I am quite versed on it. Of course I have all of my tested before even considering breeding them, and have been very fortunate to have generations after generations of healthy hips.
What hot my attention about your thread is that HD is actually quite uncommon in Dutch shepherds according to the research I've found, and bilateral HD is almost unheard of in any dog. But there are several contributing factors to HD that have nothing to do with genetics. For example, allowing a young puppy to take stairs, their joints aren't even connected for several months, or allowing high impact activities like jumping in and out of a truck or on and off of a high bed.
While reading through your thread, I was really hoping your vet was going to tell you it was panoramic, since it sounded like your girl was still a puppy...my heart sank for you when I read bilateral HD...ever responsible breeder's worst nightmare...you can do all of the right things and "stuff" just happens anyway. Although I do think it is quite telling that your breeder never responded to your emails...shame on them!
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Re: Hip Dysplasia

Post by k9lexi »

Interesting about the steps etc. How young is too young for those things?