Hip Dysplasia

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Hip Dysplasia

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I made an appt to have Sadie's Hip xrayd. I have looked at the symptoms and she has been displaying them. At first I figured that since she is very tall and lanky she was just still growing into her body, she will be a year at the end of the month. I have had some young very leggy horses take forever to physically mature. Every so often she gives a yelp when she gets up, she still is very clumsy going up and down stairs. Monday she was at day care and she came up lame in her rear end. So..... we will see what the answer is.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Re: Hip Dysplasia

Post by Sugars Mom »

Aww : (

Hope its nothing too serious...keep us posted.
Sue (and Sugar)

alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Felt my heart sink. Hope it's not HD.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thanks guys, my appointment is on the 27th.
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

If she is lanky/leggy, let's just say that it is most likely Pano. At least they outgrow that. ;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

never heard of Pano. Ill look into that. She is all leg! very lanky.

http://www.critterchat.net/pano.htm

Just looked into that, very interesting. She dosnt seem to be in any pain, she and Thalie play, we go for hikes and she seems normal.

thanks for that information, I have some hope !
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

She has to be in a bit of pain, since you noticed a yelp, causing you to worry about the hips?
I just hope for you that it is something as simple as this, since they outgrow it.
Pano will typically shift. You think you notice a limp here, and the next day you wonder if you were mistaken, since you see it there instead. It comes and goes, BTW, just like the article says.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

The amount of times I have heard a yelp since I have had her (FEB) I can count on one hand. The vet from the boarding facility called me on Monday to tell me she was lame, they thought it was the front at first, then back. She and Thalie were at doggie day care. When I got her home, she was lame but worked right out of it when I put her in the back yard. She is eating fine, acting normal, well, Sadie normal LOL. She and Thalie play alot. Sadie does tend to do a few slides where she and Thalie run into the next room and Sadie cant stop as fast and wipes out. Monday when I brought her home was the only time ever I saw her lame. At first I was hoping she pulled something and just being playfull it isnt healing. The more I read the more it looked like something else was wrong, but you know when you look on Web MD, you think you are going to Die!!!

Ill have to get a picture of her up here from the side so you can see how leggy she is.
Last edited by Dutchringgirl on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

It is still smart to get her looked at, of course. But I know from my own experience how heavy my heart was when I made an appointment for a limping dog that kept 'injuring' itself. I was sure (in my own mind) that I was going to lose that dog to Dysplasia. There was nothing wrong with the hips or the spine and after switching down from my rich, great dog food to something less stellar, it (the pano) went away rather quickly.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Ill keep the vet appt to see what is going on but its good to know what else could be wrong. I love my dog food, Thalies coat is sooo soft. I could just get two different brands if I had to.
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ok, im starting to get worried. I was looking at other pics of the younger Dutchies and they all, have nice solid rear ends. Hers is pretty light and not muscular, maybe she is still just a lanky girl? Im still trying to get a picture of her but didnt get any good ones today. We went on a long hike today and some swimming and she didnt come up lame. Im trying to watch too see if she is heavy on her front but Its hard to tell. If I take a video, would some of you be able to see how she moves?
ImageImage
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Dutchringgirl wrote:ok, im starting to get worried. I was looking at other pics of the younger Dutchies and they all, have nice solid rear ends. Hers is pretty light and not muscular, maybe she is still just a lanky girl? Im still trying to get a picture of her but didnt get any good ones today. We went on a long hike today and some swimming and she didnt come up lame. Im trying to watch too see if she is heavy on her front but Its hard to tell. If I take a video, would some of you be able to see how she moves?
The first thing I did with the male rescue that I pulled from Chicago was have his hips shot. His front half was very over developed and his rear looked so narrow in comparison. I was SURE he was compensating. Nope! Beautiful hips. He's just built funny.

There's no point in stressing over something that you just can't see without x-ray! Especially if she is doing great right now!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Christie M wrote:
Dutchringgirl wrote:ok, im starting to get worried. I was looking at other pics of the younger Dutchies and they all, have nice solid rear ends. Hers is pretty light and not muscular, maybe she is still just a lanky girl? Im still trying to get a picture of her but didnt get any good ones today. We went on a long hike today and some swimming and she didnt come up lame. Im trying to watch too see if she is heavy on her front but Its hard to tell. If I take a video, would some of you be able to see how she moves?
The first thing I did with the male rescue that I pulled from Chicago was have his hips shot. His front half was very over developed and his rear looked so narrow in comparison. I was SURE he was compensating. Nope! Beautiful hips. He's just built funny.

There's no point in stressing over something that you just can't see without x-ray! Especially if she is doing great right now!
Thanks Christie !!! That sounds like Sadie, her shoulder is nice but her rear is bony. Ive had tall lanky horses before, Im hoping she is just a tall lanky Dutchie
ImageImage
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Christie - did you check his lower back too?

We just found out one of our Border Collie's has HD pretty bad in 1 hip. He's 10. So we have to decide if we are going to do surgery or try less invasive things first. Really, it's my husband's decision and responsibility. I try to stay out of Border Collie business. :)
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

I had a GSD, actually was my daughter's, out of American show lines (yeh dont laugh). Anyway, the dang dog had pano so bad. It went from leg to leg, and for many months. One day he would be fine, and then next thing you know he was lame. She was right in the middle of training OB and it was so frustrating to her because he was her first dog to try and title. She ultimately gave up because she just couldnt keep a schedule on him.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Don't the outgrow pano?
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Today I had Sadie in her crate while I went out for a while. When I let her out, she yelped when she got up and then came out and she walked really twisted with her back end and sat down and yelped. I couldnt tell which rear leg, but I am leaning towards her left. She sat and had such a sad look on her face, I had her get up and walk towards me, but sometimes she just wiggles so its hard to tell anything. She seemed to walk out of it. For a bit she seemed to hold her him tucked under.

Correction........ Its her right rear, while I was typing she was laying down, when I got up she walked into the kitchen with me and is holding her right rear up. She gave it a stretch but is still stiff on it.
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Awwwww : (
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thanks Sue, She has been just lying down all afternoon. :(
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadie seemed fine this morning, just a slight lamness on the leg, she seems to work out of it. Im leaning twards something pulled and not healing properly. Lets hope im right.
ImageImage