August Photo of the Month Winner
Theme: Hiking
Pictured: Ten
Submitted by: DebiAndTen
Hiking Love

September Theme is Training
Just registered? Read This.

Attention New Members: If you sign up and don't receive an activation email right away, send an email to Centrop67 at gmail, and I will activate you manually.

Featured Topics
To DS, or not to DS?
What's the buzz on DNA Tests?
A Malaherd?
Submissiveness
This should be read by everyone
How To Select/Research a Breeder
Other brindle breeds

Click Here for the forum Image Facebook page.

New option for posting images: Image

Separation anxiety in 12 week old sos

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Webbie2160
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have two dutchies one 2yr old female and a 12 week old Male. We are involved in several different dog sports and would love to find a PSA club in AZ

Separation anxiety in 12 week old sos

Post by Webbie2160 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Separation anxiety in a 12 week old imported Dutch shepherd puppy, I've tried all the tricks that I know but nothing has worked, it's been three weeks of constant screaming and I'm talking about screaming for hours straight, hates the crate and ex pen. Here's a list of things I've tried:
Got him on a schedule
Putting a blanket over the crate
Feeding him in the crate and ex pen
Lots of interactive toys and chews
Classical music
Anti bark box
Pheromone toy/smell
A calming chew
Putting a shirt and blanket that smells like me in the crate and ex pen
Extra blankets and no blankets
Frozen carrots for teething/boredom
Playing with him/exercise
Changing crates styles

The only thing I haven't tried is putting a ticking clock in his bed with him and having him next to my bed.
So any tips or tricks would be great as sleep deprivation takes over 😴

Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Separation anxiety in 12 week old sos

Post by Steve Gossmeyer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:57 pm

My puppies always are crated next to my bed... this way of they have to go out in the middle of the night I don't sleep through it and wake up to piss... but it also helps with keeping them quiet... I cover them with a blanket at night and if they cry I tap the top of the crate with a shoe or something and don't say anything... that works with some dogs and not others.. welcome to crate training a drivey working dutch shepherd... this is very common and what you deal with with a working dutchie... the dog simply isn't content being on his own yet... with patience he will learn and enjoy it... try training him to get in and out of the crate with food and make a game of it.. at first let him out right away then expand that time from 10 seconds to over night... if the dog believes he is going to be let out he will eventually settle down and realize you are coming back... btw this isn't separation amxiety... its pack drive dogs don't sleep alone in a crate in the wild they sleep with their pack.. instincts dictate this behavior not human mental disorders

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Ditto what Steve said. All of mine sleep in my room. I had Sadie in a crate next to my bed and pretty much did what Steve said to do. I had some sleep deprived nights but it ends.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage

oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Post by oddbird » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:47 pm

How long have you had your pup for? Crate training, just like any other training, takes time depending on the dog so it could just be that not enough time/consistency has passed. I’ve crate trained 4 dogs so far (not many, but I don’t do this for a living lol so these have all been pets) and I’ve only had 1 take to it straight away. Eventually they all got to the point where they would go in their crates for naps. The key was figuring out each one as an individual.
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together

Webbie2160
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have two dutchies one 2yr old female and a 12 week old Male. We are involved in several different dog sports and would love to find a PSA club in AZ

Post by Webbie2160 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks so much for all your replies! This is my first working pup I got my last dutchie when she was 10 months old so I got to skip the joys of crate training, he has been with us for just over 3 weeks now and I don't expect him to be fully crate trained I was just concerned because he screams for hours and hours without stopping (you'd think he needed to breathe every once in a while but no lol). We are going to try putting him next to my bed tonight and see how that goes, he has no issue being in a crate when we are traveling in the car. I tried putting him in the ex-pen with my female GSD but he was not having that either.

Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer » Fri May 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Dogs need to learn independence..... if hes with you all day then you crate him hes going to freak out.... he needs crated more than just at night and train. .think about it what happens to wild dogs when they get separated from the pack? They die they cant survive on their own... this is an instinct that still exist in domestic dogs... if you dont teach him independence from you and spend every waking moment together then the dog will never settle down... keep trying or try what I suggested above

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl » Fri May 11, 2018 11:54 pm

Steve is right. My sadie was a rescue and never had propper mom learning time, and bonded right to my other DS, she was way too bonded and cant even go outside alone. She is very high drive. My thalie is very secure and independent. Crate even if you are home, crate when you are cleaning so they learn to be away from you even if you are home.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage