Crab Apples - Grrr!

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Crab Apples - Grrr!

Post by leih merigian »

It's not enough that there are sticks and acorns and all sorts of nut things in our yard...the freaking crab apple tree is dropping crab apples.

My little darling ate one today. I thought those things were really sour? :evil:

So, is she likely to experience any negative effects from eating one? There is such a long list of things that are toxic to dogs, but I've never seen crab apples in any of those lists.

I'm really starting to hate that tree :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: Crab Apples - Grrr!

Post by vneerland »

leih merigian wrote:It's not enough that there are sticks and acorns and all sorts of nut things in our yard...the freaking crab apple tree is dropping crab apples.

My little darling ate one today. I thought those things were really sour? :evil:

So, is she likely to experience any negative effects from eating one? There is such a long list of things that are toxic to dogs, but I've never seen crab apples in any of those lists.

I'm really starting to hate that tree :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I do not have one, but remember that my horse LOVES those things. And everything else in life is toxic to horses, so my bet is that it will be fine for your brindlebaby :binkybaby: too. (vagues memories of dogs that may have gotten some in the past. I think they ate some and I am sure everyone lived)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
asheleylane
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Asheley Winters, have had Dutch Shepherds for 12+ years!

Post by asheleylane »

Hahaha pieces small enough to pass through and not get stuck, are unlikely to hurt them. Crabapples are better than Mango pits, socks, rocks.... I'll spare everyone some of the more disgusting things my dogs have eaten, and that which I have taken out of other peoples dogs! :eew:
Asheley
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

asheleylane wrote: Crabapples are better than Mango pits, socks, rocks....
....soda bottle caps, corn cobs, underwear (didn't Christie have a wonderful underwear story?) ....
Yeah. Many talented ways to commit suicide. Glad to hear that crab appels are not on that list.

DO tell Asheley? What else did you find?
asheleylane
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Asheley Winters, have had Dutch Shepherds for 12+ years!

Post by asheleylane »

Things that come to mind.... corn cobs, tampons and ear plugs are Dana's favorite. :eew: The corn cobs can be a b.. coming out LOL! One item retrieved from someone else's dog was as best we could tell, some sort of drawer pull and yes, there has been more than one thong retrieved in my career already. Then people always want to know and see what it was that just cost them $1000. :oops: Those fibrous-woven plastic tarps, BTW (if you use them for a dogkennel) are quite deadly if eaten! Such a commonly used item, surprised more kennel dogs don't have run-ins with it. :twocents:
Asheley
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Well, good to know that the stupid apples aren't gonna be a problem. Her second poop this morning was pretty loose, but who knows if it's related.

I spent a bunch of time raking up the fallen apples this morning, then harvesting everything within my reach (it dawned on me that if they were picked, they couldn't fall on the ground :roll: ). Unfortunado, there are many above my reach. Oh well. Guess I'll be raking a lot.

Kind of related...I had her in an Xpen in the yard while I was doing this work. She was pretty good in there, except for the digging :evil: . With my GSD, I made the mistake of calling attention to the yard digging, by trying to stop her and do something else. She turned that into "if I want mom's attention now, all I have to do is dig."

So, what do you experienced DS puppy raisers do about digging? Just ignore it? Correct it somehow? What? (Years ago, the advice was to specify a place in the yard for digging, or create a little sand box for digging...take the dog there when the urge struck...)

color me :yernuts:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

OH yeah, way back when, my GSD breeder suggested keeping her nails very short, which isn't a bad idea, except we're still working on getting the nail trimming thing going<G>
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

asheleylane wrote:Things that come to mind.... corn cobs, tampons and ear plugs are Dana's favorite. :eew: The corn cobs can be a b.. coming out LOL! One item retrieved from someone else's dog was as best we could tell, some sort of drawer pull and yes, there has been more than one thong retrieved in my career already. Then people always want to know and see what it was that just cost them $1000. :oops: Those fibrous-woven plastic tarps, BTW (if you use them for a dogkennel) are quite deadly if eaten! Such a commonly used item, surprised more kennel dogs don't have run-ins with it. :twocents:
Asheley
I never had the corn cob problem, but in order to prevent it (since the dogs LOVE that stuff) I cut the cobs that go out on the compost pile up in bite size pieces, which, BTW is extremely hard work and will explain why it is such a problem when ingested. The dogs cannot easily reach the pile, but the determined and talented ones will certainly try. My vet always said he loved BBQ season since the corn made him pretty good money. :shock: A friend of ours recently almost lost his PH1 dog over a con cob :x It was indeed horribly stuck and they (themselves: surgeons) had to cut a piece of the intestin with the embedded cob loose, and reconnect with a tight waterseal. 6 weeks later, the dog is caught trying to reach that mango on the counter. :yernuts:
I had never heard of tarp problems! Do the strands get stuck, or are they toxic?
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

leih merigian wrote:So, what do you experienced DS puppy raisers do about digging? Just ignore it? Correct it somehow? What? (Years ago, the advice was to specify a place in the yard for digging, or create a little sand box for digging...take the dog there when the urge struck...)

color me :yernuts:
A. Buy new dog
B. Forget about nice looking yard and live with moonscape-look
C. make sure that they are so worn out that digging is the last thing on their minds
D. Park them on concrete when outside and not supervised.

:mrgreen:
In other words...all the theories on how to discourage is are, IMO, just theories. Some dig, others don't. Some only when it's really hot, to find a nice cool spot, others just as their morning exersize. You can fuss at them (I NEVER believe in igoring something so they won't get 'attention') but that will last just briefly. And then they smell something, and the paw comes out. Scratch..Scratch. When that feels good, do some more of that. When that's fun, dig to China. Keeping your dog occupied is still one of the better remedies. While you cannot spend all day with your dog, they are not likely to dig a lot when they just came back from their workout. The rest is a little bit of wisdom and a pinch of luck. I know some of my dogs will not dig when the area is wet. So you could try to water the ground down where she likes to dig the most and see if that helps? Good luck!
asheleylane
Puppy

Post by asheleylane »

vneerland wrote: A. Buy new dog
B. Forget about nice looking yard and live with moonscape-look
C. make sure that they are so worn out that digging is the last thing on their minds
D. Park them on concrete when outside and not supervised.
LOL, I forgot how funny you could be Judith, in your matter-of-fact way! :g_wink:
The tarps are so bad because 1. they are very accessible as commonly used for shade, and 2. they are very strong and fibrous. The strands tend to cut the intestine and quickly, which is far more deadly than a "simple" blockage.
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

You crack me up!

I look forward to being able to really wear her out...at 9 weeks, and with the heat and humidity, I have to be careful about how much I push her, exercise-wise. But, in general, I do agree that a tired pup/dog is a good pup/dog.

Alas, no concrete here at our casa. We're out in the sticks, have a gravel drive and green stuff in the yard (some of it is actually grass :fluffy: ).

By using the XPen in the yard, I wanted to give her a chance to hang with me while I was otherwise occupied...guess she just got bored. Luckily, the digging she's done so far is minor.

It's a good thing puppies are so damn cute :wtg:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

asheleylane wrote:LOL, I forgot how funny you could be Judith, in your matter-of-fact way! :g_wink:
The tarps are so bad because 1. they are very accessible as commonly used for shade, and 2. they are very strong and fibrous. The strands tend to cut the intestine and quickly, which is far more deadly than a "simple" blockage.
:o Funny? I was being dead serious! (not) ;)
I had never heard of tarp problems, but it sure is good to know. :eek:
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

uhm, could anyaone tell me what the >beep< a Crab apple is? (Judith translate it for me??) gevallen appel?
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malus

There are a bunch of different types of Apple trees that are "crabapple."

Generally it is a very small apple that is not good to eat. The tree's are very nice to look at when they are in bloom.

Some people will eat the fruit from a crabapple tree...personally, I don't like them.

When the apples start to fall, the fruit will begin to rot/ferment. You will find lot's of very drunk bee's around! :hic:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

icvanstra wrote:
Some people will eat the fruit from a crabapple tree...personally, I don't like them.
That's why I'm surprised she's even eating them...I'm thinking they taste pretty sour. I guess if you add enough sugar, you can make jam or jelly out of just about anything.

You're right about how beautiful these trees are in bloom in the spring, but as of now, I HATE THEM :evil: :evil: :evil:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Marjo: try this http://www.treehelp.com/trees/crabapple/index.asp (Sierappel)
There is a tree around here that the locals call crab apple as well as a horse apple. (catalpa?) Huge green round fruit and I have seen dogs eat even that. :roll:

My brindles also love bradford pears. :yernuts: Round, with a pear like peel, and tiny, hard fruit. The deer (and pigs) love it and the dogs even buy into the hype. Pretty trees in the spring and they obviously feed the wildlife in the summer, but not something that I would like to eat. :eew:
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

vneerland wrote:Marjo: try this http://www.treehelp.com/trees/crabapple/index.asp (Sierappel)
There is a tree around here that the locals call crab apple as well as a horse apple. (catalpa?) Huge green round fruit and I have seen dogs eat even that. :roll:

My brindles also love bradford pears. :yernuts: Round, with a pear like peel, and tiny, hard fruit. The deer (and pigs) love it and the dogs even buy into the hype. Pretty trees in the spring and they obviously feed the wildlife in the summer, but not something that I would like to eat. :eew:
aha, got it!
a Catalpa does not produce apples, it produces long beans with seeds in it. There's a lot of pear species that cannot be eaten as well, or prunes?
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Marjolein wrote:a Catalpa does not produce apples, it produces long beans with seeds in it. There's a lot of pear species that cannot be eaten as well, or prunes?
Hmmmmm. For horse apple, try bois d'arc apple or osage orange. (looks nothing like an orange, but hey......)
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/m/macpom/macpom1.html
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

We only have outdoor cat poop in the yard that Letty is obsessed with. And the aframe. She runs over to it and climbs up and sits on the top. Silly girl. We have 2 apple trees but the dogs only go there to look for cat poop to eat. Maybe they are a different kind of apple.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

k9katet wrote:We only have outdoor cat poop in the yard that Letty is obsessed with. And the aframe. She runs over to it and climbs up and sits on the top. Silly girl. We have 2 apple trees but the dogs only go there to look for cat poop to eat. Maybe they are a different kind of apple.
whaha! and JUC! :shock: I cannot watch whem my dogs do that, I get pissed :roll: but Ivil keeps doing it when I'm not watching :evil:

Judith± that one does definately NOT survive overhere :D