Clipping Nails

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Clipping Nails

Post by leih merigian »

I am very curious about how others go about being able to clip a puppy's nails.

I don't want this to be a negative thing with Geyser, so I've been approaching it kind of sideways, using treats to be able to handle her feet.

I switched to using her meals yesterday, and that went very well. She gets a spoonfull of food for every foot handling I'm able to do with her being calm.

This morning, I was able to clip two nails! Major success. I quit at two nails, and just handled her feet and toes for the rest of her meal. I plan to continue this with most meals, rotating which nails are snipped, etc.

So, how do you guys do this? What has worked well for you?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: Clipping Nails

Post by vneerland »

I have someone hold the pup, and just do all the nails, followed by a lot of praise and a treat afterwards. I have done it enough that it takes me about a minute for 4 little feet. So far, they have all sputtered, and all survived. The protest is ignored, but of course you can only do that if someone else has a nice firm hold of the baby. Most adults that I raised, will undergo the clipping with patience and resignation, leading to the assumption that they were not traumatised early on :wink:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

I don't clip - I dremel.

---

With Abigail she was much older when I switched to the dremel and it took a little time to get her used to it. Started by not actually doing the nails, just touched the feet/nails with the dremel off. Then did it all over with the dremel on but touching the battery end to her nails - to get the sense of the vibration. Then started doing a few nails, then more and more.

With Cino - this was another story. He fought me tooth and nail :whistle:

What I finally did was take a chuckit, two tennis balls and a large field. Wore his stripey rear end out! Whipped out the dremel and did his nails. He was so tired from chasing the ball he just didn't care. Then ton's of praise/fun.

Whenever he gives me fits about doing his nails...we take off to the school across the street, play fetch for awhile and out comes the dremel.... Which re-associates playing with getting the nails done.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

I usually cut nails at night when I am not hurried as we are all hanging out in front of the TV. The little ones are in my lap and the large adults I just allow to lie on the couch with a good chew bone. I sit on the floor and place a paw over my shoulder and cut away. I have tried the Pedipaw thing but I didnt find it worked and it wasnt worth fighting the dogs with it. Have not tried the Dremel but not sure if dogs or myself would have the patience with that. Short and sweet is how I like to groom them! Hubby doesnt 'do dogs' so I dont have the luxury of having any help to hold mine so the tough wigglers take a trip with me to a vet friend and we cut them together.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

The Pedipaws are junk. Cheaply made and don't work nearly as well as a rechargeable Dremel (for about the same price).

clippers I struggled with. Too many times clipping the quick.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Thanks for all the replies!

Judith, it's not that I expect that she'd be traumatized, I just don't want it to be a constant hassle. My GSD was a big pain in this way. I started her out with your method, and she became a screaming fool. Then, I took bad advice from a vet, who said, "why have her hate you? bring her in and we'll do it," which I did for a couple of years. You could hear her screaming thru three doors.

I decided it was a control issue, and that I needed to be able to do her nails. That's when I switched to the Dremmel (I totally agree with you, Eric. I hate using clippers.). Once I did that, no problem. And, since she was already 2 years old when I made the switch, it wasn't difficult.

Denise, sounds like you've got your system down!

Progress-wise, for the second session, I got 4 nails done. Then, this morning, the whole right rear foot. So, I am pleased with how this is going and will continue with it.

I'm only clipping the tips, as I am so worried about the damn quicks, too...but we'll just keep doing this and rotate the feet until I get them nice and short. Then, I'll start the switch to the dremmel.

I'm just glad I've been able to find a way to make this work!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I realize you are not worried about the 'trauma' Leih. I was just trying to say that the 'sit still and be quiet' method has never managed to traumatize my own mutts. I never have had a screaming fool this way. Not sure what the difference is? :shock:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

I have never really had good success with the Dremmel and I'm not sure why. I'm probably just too impatient.

I TRY - ever so try - to do a similar method to what you are describing Leih. When I teach puppy classes, I preach pairing nail trimming with meals and only doing one a day. Buy the time you get through all 16-20, its time to start over. Fo some really stubborn kids, I have owners put some peanut butter on the wall or in a kong to keep them occupied for the 30 seconds it should take.

I think that most people create a situation by making it a bigger ordeal than it needs to. Most people pin their dogs to the ground in an uncomfortable, submissive position and literally sit on them while tugging on feet and toes. Since dogs back chain learning so fast, one incident and the dog knows that clippers equal big fat fight, yelling, and physical discomfort. So the one a day technique keeps the average person from getting stressed, stressing their dog and feeling like the can "just get through it" or "Just let me finish this one foot."

Additionally, I think people over stress working the clippers and take way too long to cut and end up manipulating and causing discomfort. I can trim an entire dog's nails in about 2 minutes or less. I have seen SO many people take 2 minutes a toe. If you clip a quick, crap. But don't stress over it. That is what makes your dogs over reactive. Slap some blood stop or corn starch on there and put them outside. If you live up north - throw them out in the snow. That works awesome. I have seen so many people rationalize their dog's dislike of trimmings by saying "she got cut once." So?? How many of us have accidently stepped on our dogs once? Were they forever fearful of our feet?? NO. Its how we react that dictate how they do.

Personally though, as I said, no matter how much I tell myself that I am going to teach a completely motivational approach, real life happens and I end up trimming 8 sets of toes nails in one day. Like everything else, I find the less I worry about it, the less they do. I got Dante at 2 and he would literally bite you over his feet. I started out muzzling him (and feeding) and trimmed him standing. 11 years later, I do everyone the same way in an assembly line. I kick their feet back like a horse, cut toe nails and act like nothing ever happened. Even Geisha stands in line and acts like its just an every day routine. And as motivational as I try to be, I'm not above lightly smacking a mouthy face away from my hands while I am trying to get things done. They usually just go "Oops, sorry mom." Then we move on and play and it is a non-issue. The key is, I have to be honest and make sure I keep it a non-issue too.

PS - Leih, I used to brush Willow and Dante's teeth. They would sit behind me at night when I brushed mine, begging for their turn. Its funny how little things like that get lost when you build your group! Kudos to you though!!! Every study shows that brushing helps a TON!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Thanks for you input, Christie. I'm really pleased with how it's going.

I was able to do her final foot today at dinner. And your reminders to keep it all matter of fact, especially when (not if) I get the quick, is good.

I don't know how you do it with them standing up...I've watched people do that, kind of bend their wrists back or something?

Geisha is lucky to have such great role models, and such an experieced puppy-raising mom!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

guess I'm lucky, so far I've never had to clip my dogs nails, just walk on tar-roads a lot :D
Oh, I did clip them once, when Ivil had her litter and didn't go out to run besides the bike, this was her first time, and a simple grab it the neck and sit still you little #%^&* :evil: worked fine. Must admit that Ivil is not very " hot-tempered" ;) Dingo would have tried to eat me I think.... :lol:
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

vneerland wrote:I realize you are not worried about the 'trauma' Leih. I was just trying to say that the 'sit still and be quiet' method has never managed to traumatize my own mutts. I never have had a screaming fool this way. Not sure what the difference is? :shock:
Just saw this...

I'm sure the difference is the operator :D . Namely, me.

With my first dog, I was a total novice. That's always a challenge with a very high drive working lines pup. With Geyser, I'm not a novice any longer, but I've only raised one pup, and it was a long while ago.

I'm sure you have such a confident manner about yourself and that experience just oozes out of you and into your pups. If you could bottle some of that, I'd buy a case of it :lol: .
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Marjolein wrote:guess I'm lucky, so far I've never had to clip my dogs nails, just walk on tar-roads a lot :D
You are lucky!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser