Broken Canine Tooth

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Broken Canine Tooth

Post by leih merigian »

Well, my little darling broke her bottom right canine tooth this evening :evil: .

I wear a watch on my belt loop, that's on kind of a carabiner kind of thing. She jumped up to grab something to bite, and got the watch, and on the way down, the tooth broke. I figured immediately what happened...she was kind of surprised :lol: .

It's broken about a third of the way down, and it's sheered off on the outside some, so you can see the pink pulp a bit.

She was her usual tugging fool self later when we were outside for an exercise/training session.

So, the question is whether I need to do anything about it? I'm really glad this happened to a baby tooth and not an adult tooth! I'm thinking about the only thing that could even be done would be an extraction, and if it's not necessary, no reason to put her thru that.

What about infection? Is that a concern with the pulp showing?

(Of course, she couldn't have done this yesterday before our vet visit that we had today...nooooo.)

Little stinker! (I'm hoping for one trial learning, but I'm not holding my breath :pint: )
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Broken Canine Tooth

Post by leih merigian »

Asheley called me back last nite to discuss this tooth business (thanks, Ash!).

As I understand it...the only problem is a chance of infection, and it's not terribly likely. If the tooth were extracted, that would come with a chance of infection, too.

If there is an infection, and it got bad enough, it could have a negative effect on her adult canine tooth.

One option would be to put her on prophylactic antibiotics for a week or so, but I really don't want to do that.

So, I'll just keep an eagle eye on it and her gums and watch for any sign of infection, or pain. (She was fine last nite with her bully stick and elk antler...chewing happily away :wtg: )

With some luck<fingers crossed> there won't be any to be concerned about.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I will admit that I do not really remember her age. A bit young to be approaching teething, I think? Anyway. The only thing that worries me about it, is how easy it was for the tooth to break. Hoping it was a freak thing, not a weakness, though weakness could be explained if she was in the process of shedding those toofies. And of course, I agree that these are the things that happen, not to panic about it, but just keep a good eye on what happens next. I know your heartrate was elevated when you saw that canine was broken. Breathe in...breahte out..breathe in.. :mrgreen: (you'll both survive it, I have no doubt)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

She's 12.5 weeks, so not quite approaching teething yet, bummer.

Actually, I didn't freak out at all...I thought it was pretty funny and served her right for jumping up to bite me again :roll: . I mean, once something like this happens, you can't undo it, and I was just grateful it was a baby tooth.

I don't know for sure of course, but I doubt it's from weak teeth. The force of her 23.5 lb body slamming back down to the ground while her tooth was hooked over a metal piece at the right point in the tooth (where it curves a bit), was just too much for it. Usually, it's my Tshirt she has in her mouth as she trys to slam down and rip it up :twisted: . Kind of like a perfect storm for tooth breaking :P .

Just hope the lucky stars are with us about not getting an infection from it. Guess I'll find out, eh?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I will admit that I always hate tooth damage, no matter what age. And I have seen plenty of it. Always makes me sick (and you're right, that never changed anything just yet) ;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image