Puppy Visit...

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Puppy Visit...

Post by Lauren »

We are going to visit a litter of pups tomorrow morning. They have the same sire as Xena, but a different Dam. they are 4.5 weeks old :binkybaby:

Dad is a protection dog and mom loves agility. I am hoping that he can tell me more about their bloodlines... I know that both parents of the sire and both parents of the dam were imported FCI. But he is not big into keeping up with bloodlines. :roll:

I will post pictures! :D
Lauren from Western NC
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Re: Puppy Visit...

Post by felixone123 »

how fun!! yes, pls take pics.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Lauren wrote: I know that both parents of the sire and both parents of the dam were imported FCI. But he is not big into keeping up with bloodlines. :roll:
Looking forward to the pics. There are not THAT many imported FCI dogs, so 4 in the next generation of the pedigree should be easy enough to track I would think.

Do you now if the breeder shot hips or titled either in anything?
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ooohhh exciting!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Lauren
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Post by Lauren »

Christie M wrote: Looking forward to the pics. There are not THAT many imported FCI dogs, so 4 in the next generation of the pedigree should be easy enough to track I would think.

Do you now if the breeder shot hips or titled either in anything?

I have gotten most of my info second or third hand... But, the sire (Ando) is six years old. He is on site and is beautiful. His father is 12-13 years old and is supposedly imported from Holland as was the Grand dam. Now on the Dams side, I don't have a lot of info yet since she belongs to his partner who runs the training kennel in Douglas Ga. She is reportedly the daughter of two imports as well.

He does not shoot hips or elbows (I know). I did not ask about any titles as I had never even heard of schushund (sp?) before joining this board. I was just looking for a good, active dog that would be good with my family, protective of my home and leave lots of sporting options open. I had intended to do lots of agility and possibly SAR. Since then, however Xena and I have fallen for herding!!! From what I understand, most of their dogs go to personal protection, SAR, police and pet homes. I will grill him and let you know what I find out tomorrow! :dsshock:
dam and pup from a previous litter
dam and pup from a previous litter
1d1wwusrt96.jpg (2.64 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
2 yr old from previous litter
2 yr old from previous litter
64a8r586equ.jpg (3.1 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Sire Ando
Sire Ando
p61hy9a7rkn.jpg (2.5 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Pups.
Pups.
9di6hy4lsw8.jpg (4.6 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Sorry I can't make these bigger!
Lauren from Western NC
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I love puppy photos! Please post!

Boaz's sister has puppies right now and I love looking at those little mugs. :D
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Is this the kennel "Diamond k9"?

http://www.dutchshepherdk9s.com/SITE.html
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

That is so awesome, Im so excited for you. Just going to see the little babies should be so much fun :ds:
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
Lauren
Training Dog

Post by Lauren »

alspyce wrote:Is this the kennel "Diamond k9"?

http://www.dutchshepherdk9s.com/SITE.html
Yes, but they don't update their website often.... ;)
Lauren from Western NC
Lauren
Training Dog

Post by Lauren »

The good news is we had a good visit, the pups are healthy, the Dam was very sweet and the sire pretty imposing (but under good voice control). The bad news is that I am not good at grilling and I didn't come away with pedigrees and titles. :oops: Both Ando and Frasha were a bit on the heavy side (now I see why he says that ando is 90 pounds :lol: ) , but I like my dogs lean.

He just seems content and concerned about producing healthy, good, dogs. He did mention the dams sister titling in french ring and another excelling in agility (only one border collie had beat her time). Andos brother belongs to the man who imported the parents. He works as a prison guard. Recently Ando's brother had some sort of accident at the prison that caused him to have to be castrated :shock:

He says that he trains them to track and search for drugs and personal protection. I asked where this litter was going.

Of the 6: 2 males to police, One female for sport, one female to a vet in Oklahoma (she had reserved a pup a few years ago, then found a breeder in Oklahoma so she told Doyle to keep the deposit, and got one from aa breeder closer. That dog turned out to be a nightmare and after two years she finally got her trained and settled enough to start a new dog. So one of the girls is going there.) One male is not yet spoken for and the last male is going to us!

Hubby picked the one that was easily the most laid back of the bunch. Cuddly, not fearful, but gees. LAID BACK. Of course they had just eaten. This is the first time they were brought outside.
IMG_1039.jpg
IMG_1039.jpg (64.79 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
sleepy face
sleepy face
IMG_1045.jpg (67.71 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
playing
playing
IMG_1048.jpg (65.76 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
the gang
the gang
IMG_1024.jpg (77.55 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
Our pup
Our pup
IMG_1031.jpg (66.71 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
Lauren from Western NC
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

If you're comfortable with it, then go for it. But I think some things that he is saying is a crock. No one would go through the effort of finding FCI working stock and then "not care about blood lines."

So he probably bought the dogs stateside, sounds like they are decent dogs, and then chose to breed hoping to find great homes. Like I said, if the pups are confident and mom and dad seem nice. Then its probably a good option. But people with sought after pedigrees don't forget them or not care. Part of creating consistently nice dogs is knowing how they were created. He sounds like someone who knows just enough terminology to through letters around, but it doesn't really apply to his dogs.

More important than titles (for you) is health clearances. What are the parents OFA or PennHIP scores?
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Lauren
Training Dog

Post by Lauren »

We are comfortable with it. He did not import the dogs. He bought Ando from the guy that imported the dogs. And lineage is just not that important to him, I guess. I know that it is not that important to me as I do not intend to ever breed these dogs. I would have been just as happy with a rescue, for that matter. And there is no history on those babies! ;)
Lauren from Western NC
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

How exciting! How long do you have to wait to take the puppy home? It will be interesting to see how Miss Xena responds to her new buddy.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Christie M wrote:If you're comfortable with it, then go for it. But I think some things that he is saying is a crock. No one would go through the effort of finding FCI working stock and then "not care about blood lines."
I was going to say just that ;)
They look happy and healthy, I would be interested in hips too.
Lauren
Training Dog

Post by Lauren »

He is only 4.5 weeks now, so it will be another 3.5 weeks. We are excited! I think Xena will be thrilled to have a playmate.
:D
Lauren from Western NC
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Cute pup, Now the excited waiting for him to come home.

Christie, and Marjolein have expressed some of my own thoughts already, but also:

I'd get a health certificate/or a written guarantee of health for a specified period of time, from the guy at the time you pick up your pup, as (from his health section), it doesn't look like he's going to be accountable for any communicable health issues (parvo, etc.) starting from the minute you leave his property!

At least get something in writing giving you 48 hours to have the pup examined by your own Vet, and covering enough time for any disease incubation period where the pup would have been exposed while in his care.
How many people will be allowed to view or handle the litter before your pup comes home? How does he insure that visitors don't bring in a virus to the litter? Did you ask about his vaccination schedule?

Yes I'm OCD, but it never hurts to CYA. :twocents:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
felixone123
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.

Post by felixone123 »

Your new puppy is adorable - wishing you all the best!!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
kchristy
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)

Post by kchristy »

So excited for you guys :) I would make sure about the health warranty, definitely the shot schedule/record. I remember waiting to pick up Merlin and constantly thinking about him and I only had to wait a few days. Weeks will be forever!!! Xena will have so much fun with someone to play with!!! Congrats again!
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin