Now we DO have puppies in the making

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Re: Now we DO have puppies in the making

Post by Marjolein »

Schlussdibusti wrote: So the pups should all be super healthy with parents like that :wtg:
That is the general idea, yes ;)
MeganBays
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a small kennel breeding working line Dutch Shepherds, and just stumbled on this forum while browsing the internet. We train our dogs in police K9 work primarily, with hopes of being able to compete in the near future.

Post by MeganBays »

Very cute Marjolein :) I think the color conversations that I read here are really interesting, it's not something I spend a lot of time thinking about or researching but it's neat for me to read what you guys say about it! So thanks for the spontaneous off topic posts! :) :) :)

What exactly is the brindle test that you have to do with the FCI dogs?
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

MeganBays wrote: What exactly is the brindle test that you have to do with the FCI dogs?
nono, not with "the FCI dogs", the test is only (at this point in time...) obligatory for DS born in Germany. And I happen to have moved to Germany... (I'm Dutch)

The test is a genetic lab test that gives you a result stating wether or not your dog is "pure brindle" (kbr/kbr) or is brindle but carries the recessive gene for yellow (kbr/ky).
The stupid thing is, you are still allowed to breed two dogs carrying yellow, so why do the @#$!@ test? If you want to know, you can decide for yourself to do it I would say...
Only for mix dogs (KNPV lines or other mixes that have entered the breed book before it was closed) it is forbidden to use them for breeding when carrying yellow :huh:
MeganBays
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a small kennel breeding working line Dutch Shepherds, and just stumbled on this forum while browsing the internet. We train our dogs in police K9 work primarily, with hopes of being able to compete in the near future.

Post by MeganBays »

Marjolein wrote:
MeganBays wrote: What exactly is the brindle test that you have to do with the FCI dogs?
nono, not with "the FCI dogs", the test is only (at this point in time...) obligatory for DS born in Germany. And I happen to have moved to Germany... (I'm Dutch)

The test is a genetic lab test that gives you a result stating wether or not your dog is "pure brindle" (kbr/kbr) or is brindle but carries the recessive gene for yellow (kbr/ky).
The stupid thing is, you are still allowed to breed two dogs carrying yellow, so why do the @#$!@ test? If you want to know, you can decide for yourself to do it I would say...
Only for mix dogs (KNPV lines or other mixes that have entered the breed book before it was closed) it is forbidden to use them for breeding when carrying yellow :huh:
That is goofy. lol.
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Marjolein wrote:The stupid thing is, you are still allowed to breed two dogs carrying yellow, so why do the @#$!@ test? If you want to know, you can decide for yourself to do it I would say...
:yernuts:
So on two dogs with a full 3 generation FCI pedigree, you can breed
kbr/ky to kbr/ky and get 25% malinois look alikes (ky/ky)
but if you have a dog that lacks the 3 generation FCI pegigree, you cannot apply the same rule? :doh:
and if it is:
kbr/ky (hetrozygous) bred to a homozygous kbr/kbr, then that is also not allowed. (all pups would have been brindle, 25% would have been recessive for red, but none would have shown it) :yernuts:

Who makes those rules and who allows for them to be upheld? :cry: (It is just so short shighted)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image