ears

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

ears

Post by HeatherH »

I'm just wondering about what do most people do with ds ears? Do you pin them up? I won't, I use them to read what he's thinking when we're out and about. Do your ds's show what they're thinking? He lifts one up when he listen to me. Cocks his head when he doesn't understand. They're both up when he'on full alert or about to do something devious? Or will the ears just start standing up more on their own?

Thx
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Re: ears

Post by Sugars Mom »

My little mix with floppy ears has very expressive ears. They are always moving around listening to different sounds in different directions at the same time or to show mood changes to express how she is feeling at any given moment.

There is a bunch of stuff about ears standing and what people on the forum have done (or not done); I'm sure if you type it into the search you will get some answers.
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: ears

Post by Dutchringgirl »

No pinning required. They will eventually stand on their own and what happens after that is up to the pup. Thalies are always up, she has dainty ears and always alert. Sadies ears are all over the map, up , down, folded, crooked. When Sadie was a pup they folded over, like Sugars are in her photo. So cute !!! I tried taping them but that didnt work, they eventually stood on their own at about 7 months. When she barks or runs the tips flop back and forth.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage