Ball drive

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Childsey1
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My name is Paul childs
I have neo x American bulldog bitch, male Boerboel and now a 18week old ducth herder bitch.
I'm a carpenter by trade with a strong passion for dogs

Re: Ball drive

Post by Childsey1 »

Feraloup,
Hi, I agree with you on the come command being formal, I use come sit, come heel but I find it so more natural to use here, but I've only ever heard the here command on the field of sport I always associated it with a serious command, like I said to Lisa and Leih I'm making a good list of commands and stick to it casual and formal, I have taught my other two dogs so many commands which I have been very consistent with, for amber my d/s who's going to be a working dog I just wanted to get a good idea on commands which other handlers use with their working d/s.
thanks again
Paul
Paul, Buckinghamshire, uk
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Switching up the cues is the reason why I added a second language for Odin. I certainly won't overuse German words in everyday life. My dad's German and gave me the commands they used on dogs growing up, so they don't match up perfectly to all of the normal German commands people use for dogs, but it doesn't matter to him.

He has come which is informal for us, front which is formal, but not life or death, and Kommen Sie her when it needs to be perfect (like when he bailed on the dock and ran off the ramp into a crowd of strange dogs and people at his first dock diving show to go find my husband). I probably looked like an idiot standing on the dock yelling in German, but he came right back to me.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Childsey1
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My name is Paul childs
I have neo x American bulldog bitch, male Boerboel and now a 18week old ducth herder bitch.
I'm a carpenter by trade with a strong passion for dogs

Post by Childsey1 »

Hi Stephanie ,
I've often thought of using Spanish while on the sports field but realised I can't speak Spanish so that's that out the window. So many owners I know use German, I wanted to be different. I will learn another language just for ipo so amber knows the difference hopefully that will save some tears
Rgds
Paul
Paul, Buckinghamshire, uk
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Childsey1 wrote:Hi Stephanie ,
I've often thought of using Spanish while on the sports field but realised I can't speak Spanish so that's that out the window. So many owners I know use German, I wanted to be different. I will learn another language just for ipo so amber knows the difference hopefully that will save some tears
Rgds
Paul
It's not necessarily out the window, you just have to learn the commands, you're not having full conversations with the dog, just a word or 2 at a time. It's like learning any new command. In human sports, you still have to learn new words like linebacker, touchdown, point-guard, etc. These weren't words people knew before the sport. It's not too hard to just make those words in another language since you're learning something new anyway. You don't need a perfect Spanish accent either, the dog is just responding to a unique command.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA