How to tell the age of puppy?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

How to tell the age of puppy?

Post by Sugars Mom »

Hi, I was wondering what are things to look for to determine how old a puppy is?

I saw a listing of a pup available for adoption, rescued from a kill shelter in california and brought here for adoption, and thought it looked like a DS (or DS mix?). There is contradicting info on the site, one posting says 3-4 months, and other postings says 5 months. When I spoke to the foster mom, she said she thought he would be big, like 60 lbs full grown and is 5 months now and around 20 lbs. To me, 20 lbs sounds more like a 3 month old.

I was curious, as Sugar was about 20 lbs at 5 months, and is just over 30 lbs full grown. Am going to check him out on Monday...but do want to know how to determine age in a puppy. Teeth?
Sue (and Sugar)

Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

Re: How to tell the age of puppy?

Post by Sugars Mom »

OH ya, and the foster mom told me he was a GSD mix... mixed with something brindle. I asked if he could possibly be a DS and she said no, he was brindle...lol...so she obviously does not know what a DS is, lol.
Sue (and Sugar)

leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

I'm no expert by a long shot, but I go by teeth first for sure. At least, if the pup has it's adult teeth, you can be fairly sure it's at least 6 months old.

Take pics! Watch your heart! (too funny about the DS mix part :lol: )
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

cut them in half and count the stripes. :g_wink:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

Count the stripes, :lol: :lol:

I'll look at the teeth...and see what happens... :whistle: Hubby doesn't know I'm going to look at this guy. :oops:
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

uh oh, sneak attack! LOL. I agree teeth are probably the best way.
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Oh Sue is is sooooooooo cute!!! how can you not adopt him!!! He does look about 5 months I guess. Are you ready for two DS?????
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

Well, we'll see once we meet him. :g_wink:

Sugar would love a playmate...so I'm looking for love at first sight :player:
Sue (and Sugar)

leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

What a doll! Sure hard to tell from those pics...but just a real cutie. Eager to check in tomorrow nite and hear about the meet!

No way I could have a second dog, but Geyser would love it. Mostly :lol: . She gets jealous of the cats on my lap at times...but if she could play anytime she wanted, she'd love that part.

Good luck!!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have always had two dogs. I will try to always have two. Its so fun for them to play with each other. Thalie was sooooo depressed after her "brother" left. then when we started hanging out with my parents basset she would be so happy, then the next day, she would walk around my house letting out little whines. It broke my heart. I got Sadie for Thalie. They love each other and its so fun to watch them together.
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

Awww, how sweet!

Now I have to wait to meet Cedar (the pup) as the foster lady is in the hospital and her hubby who is looking after the pups is not available to meet me when we had arranged so I'm not sure when we'll meet up.

I'll keep you posted.
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

:cry: :cry:
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

K, met Cedar...posting pics in photo section...looks around 5 months to me! Same size as Sugar but alot thinner. Sweetest thing!
Sue (and Sugar)