Puppy checklist!?!?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Dutchie_17
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm Liz I am 21 & in currently in the process of getting my first Dutch Shepherd!!

Puppy checklist!?!?

Post by Dutchie_17 »

So after waiting 2 years and having my deposit down for the last 6 months Tigger had her puppies! 9 total, 6 females and 3 males. :ds:

I have been preparing for this day for what seems like forever LOL :DSlove: :DSlove:

This is what I have so far... is there anything else I’m missing? any recommendations on food? :huh:

Large dog kennel and crate
Extra large ex-pen
Dog bed
Dog crate pads
150 ex large puppy pads
Clicker
Toys of all kinds...
Treats
Leash
Collar
a smart ID tag ( gives a "Amber pet alert" to all shelters and rescue groups within a 50 mile radius of pets last known location, 24/7 lost pet call center, lifetime replacement tags, 6 hour guarantee if not found you get a refund on your subscription, free lost pet posters, and 1000$ pet medical insurance!!)
Dog bowls
And a vet that knows the DS breed
Oh and I just bought a 500$ camera just to take pictures of him with haha!! :]
Liz and Titus <3
anniewang83
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Annie & Nick, first time owners of a dutch shepherd, named Amber, rescue from North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue (NADSR), fostered and trained by Kim Futch. Amber's favorite things to do are eating, chasing balls, chasing frisbees and napping with us in bed.

Re: Puppy checklist!?!?

Post by anniewang83 »

wow! you must be SO excited! Welcome to the forum and we hope to hear all about your new pup and the progress that he's making!

Here's a great thread about dog food by people who have done a lot of research: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1273&hilit=feed

Which breeder did you get him from? What activities/jobs have you got in mind for him?

We're all waiting to see puppy pictures!!!
Nick & Annie (humans)
Amber (Dutchie)
currently living in New York City
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

how exciting !!!!

My only recomendation would be lots and lots of dog beds LOL Sadie would chew them up in no time. :priest:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Some additional items I can think of:

1) Dog food container.
* I use a food container that doubles as a raised dog bowl holder.
2) Trash cans that go under the cabinet or lock
* I converted a dog food container as a locking trash can and put a sliding recycle container under the cabinet.
3) Hide the dog beds until you know they won't be chewed.
* It took 4 years for my Lab, and I am still waiting with Radar who is not yet a year and a half old.
4) Treat containers.
* Easier access than the resealable bags, and not all of them come resealable.
5) Storage bin for the toys.
* It can be quite a treat if the puppy only has a couple of always-available toys, and then you pull out that once-in-a-while toy.
6) Band aids, neosporin, hydorgen peroxide.
* For that teething period.
7) OdoBan
* For the accidents that will happen.
8) A shoe rack or storage bin.
* Self explanatory?
9) Tie wraps, outlet plugs, or any other means of hiding cables, plugs, and electrical outlets.
* Just like child proofing.
10) External hard drive and extra memory cards for the camera.
* You will take an excessive amount of pictures, so have a place to store them - and don't forget to post lots of them here.
11) A place to put the TV remote(s).
* I remember the days of having to get up and change the channel, but it was quite distressing to have do that for two days waiting for DirecTV to send me a new remote.

I guess I really could have put this in my lessons-learned post (Don't Eat the Sock --> http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... =13&t=2706), but it was already too long.

Some of the items above are worst case scenarios, but it's better to be prepared. :wtg:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchie_17
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm Liz I am 21 & in currently in the process of getting my first Dutch Shepherd!!

Post by Dutchie_17 »

@anniewang83 I am so stoked haha my friends and family are sick of my nonstop talking about my Dutchie!! And thank you for the link!!! :) ill have to look how to spell the name but they are a breeder in Santa Cruz.As far as jobs go I have not decided, I want to wait until I see his personality. I know they can do virtually anything but I’m really interested in dock jumping, agility, or fly ball! Something fun!! I wanted to do personal protection but I work with kids and they always come to my house to play with my goats lol and the liability ruins it for me :/ So I want to focus his energy and drive on something fun!
I promise as soon as they send me pics I will spam you all with them lol!! :D :D :D

@dutchringgirl haha phew good thing I only bought one bed and held off getting an 80$bed!! :o Haha...what about Kong beds? Are they any good?
:huh:
@centrop67 wow great ideas! I will most definitely have to invest in some of those! thank you very much!!! :wtg:
Liz and Titus <3
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Dutchie_17 wrote:
@dutchringgirl haha phew good thing I only bought one bed and held off getting an 80$bed!! :o Haha...what about Kong beds? Are they any good?
:huh:
I read reviews of every "no chewable " dog bed. They all have their week points and if they are there, the Dutchies will find them !!! I lost count of how many dog beds Sadie destroyed :eek:

Mostly she would play with them and pretend they were squirrels and tear their heads off, then she would happily spread the fluff every where.

Maybe get a few back ups just in case :player:
ImageImage
feraloup
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.

Post by feraloup »

You must be so excited!!! (I'm getting excited for you!) I think we will all quite happily be subjected to the form of "S-P-A-M" you are indicating... bring ooooon the puppy pictures! Oh, and, can't recall if it was suggested or not already, but I think most folks on here recommend a stocked liquor cabinet (self-medication for you,) as well, as one of the vital DS checklist must-haves. :pint:
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Yep, Autumn, I think by far a stocked liquor cabinet is the most important must have for Dutchie owners LOL

Cant wait to see the pictures !!!
ImageImage
Dutchie_17
Just Whelped

Post by Dutchie_17 »

@Dutchringgirl oooh boy haha..hummm maybe some really fluffy towels will work in the mean time haha :D then maybe he can be bed worthy!

@feraloup haha oooh trust me I will spam you as soon as I get the chance! Im just waiting for pics! And when the pups are six weeks old ill be driving 3 hours JUST to take pics of them haha :DSlove:
LOL thank you for that advice! I’ll make sure to keep my cabinets full!! :lol:
Liz and Titus <3