puppy annoying older dog

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Re: puppy annoying older dog

Post by Sugars Mom »

Great, thanks for the advice and the congrats!

Heading away for the weekend without internet, so check back in on Monday.
Sue (and Sugar)

Stadthund
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Currently own a 6 month old Dutch Herder Layla.

Post by Stadthund »

Im having the same trouble with my 6-7month old Dutch Herder. When shes playing with the two mali's in the house she jumps all over them licking and biting there muzzles, legs. Doesnt leave them alone, I try to stop her but she continues to do it. One of the mali's is very high drive and does snap at her Layla will submit to her but then immediately starts again.
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

All of the previous advise applies.

I have lots of dogs, and have had LOTS of DS fosters. Especially in cases with a young dog and healthy adults, I let them work it out 99.0% of the time. I won't let a puppy punk a senior or someone who can't back them off. But usually adult dogs start with the lowest level of correction that stops the behavior, and increase in intensity when needed. In this case, they just haven't found what works just yet. If you interfere all of the time, then they may never find what works because they may inhibit their behaviors so as not to upset you. So I back off and let the adults school the kids.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thalie does the majority of the correction for Sadie, I just sit back and laugh.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Stadthund
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Currently own a 6 month old Dutch Herder Layla.

Post by Stadthund »

Tried it with no interference and layla quickly got the message and left both dogs alone with no fights. :D