Geyser and The Parade of Lights

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Geyser and The Parade of Lights

Post by leih merigian »

There is a little town north of Charlottesville called Stanardsville. Yesterday, they held their annual Parade of Lights, which is a parade with floats and decorated cars and such. I love parades. I love Christmas. I love lights. I like finding events to use for socialization. Is there any doubt that I'd take Geyser to this parade?

Geyser was an angel :stickman: . I decided to go just for the parade, and forgo the eariler events (choirs, bands, etc.), as I really thought that'd be too much for her at one time, at this stage. It was a good decision. (She's only 6 months old now.)

We got there about 10 min to 6, and the parade was to start at 6. My contact had told me where to watch the parade from, and it was a great suggestion; we were at the corner where the parade turned, just before the end of it's route. I lucked out with the last parking spot in a lot, too. Whew!

It was dark dark when we got there, and the crowds! Tons of people...adults, oldsters, lots of kids, strollers and others with dogs, too. We were standing at a T intersection, on the outside of the turn for the floats and vehicles. We were in the front row, with people behind and next to us, and of course, lining the streets all around several people deep.

The parade did start at 6, but we were at the end of its route, so we spent a lot of time just standing there, waiting, in the freaking cold. She was so good! :fluffy: She mostly sat in front of me, waiting for treats. I took like 1 1/3 pounds of hot dogs, and a good thing, too, as we used up most of it. When she seemed to get too bored, we'd run thru little behaviors (hand touches, right foot/ left foot, sit ups, spins, etc.). She did well with that, too, in such a highly distracting situation.

She was nice to anyone who reached a hand to her or wanted to greet her. In crowds like that, you can't control those kinds of things, and she was just wonderful about it.

When the parade started to get to us, I swear, every emergency vehicle that town owns was in it. Fire engines, ambulances/EMT trucks, police vehicles of all kinds, garbage trucks, you name it, and they were all woo-wooing their sirens and making a ton of noise. Did it phase her? Nah. I was very pleasantly surprised at that, let me tell you. And they were festooned with lights, too.

Lots of cars with lights all over them blowing their horns, horse trailers, miscellaneous vehicles including nasty-exhaust-spewing muscle cars, and floats. Lots of floats. And every time something would come by, the crowd would go wild, screaming for candy to be tossed their way. Lots of noise! Then, of course, we were all yelling "Merry Christmas!" and stuff like that at the floats. Every time I yelled that, she'd jump straight up in the air and touch my face with her nose. I have no idea what that was about. Perhaps she was just showing her Christmas Spirit :lol: .

Horses with riders, horses pulling carriages and wagons, and miniature horses all decked out and walking on lead.

Bands. There were two. The first one wasn't too loud and was no problem. The second one, well, it was very very loud, and it had a bunch of drums :music3: , and it seemed that all of them were on our side and going nuts when they went by us. That was the only thing that concerned her...the very loud, banging drums and loud music of that band. Still, she was fine and recovered quickly, as soon as they'd passed, she was like, "OK, I'm ready for more treats now..."

RotoRooter had two trucks in the parade (let me tell you, this cracked me up but good...RotoRooter and Christmas?), and a float. On the back of the float, there was this Santa with a gushing toilet that was geysering water into the street behind it. (Did you notice I slipped her name in there as a verb? :lol: Guess I could've said "gushing" but it was shooting way up into the air...geysering!)

Tons of candy got thrown, and she left it all alone to stay focused on me. Every time candy was tossed, tons of people and kids would rush and skitter forward to grab it off the ground, and it reminded me of tossing food into a lake and all the fish darting up to grab it. All that darting activity happening around her, and she just stayed focused on me and didn't give it a care.

I was so incredibly proud of her and so pleased with her good behavior. She was just awesome.

It was a long parade, and lasted at least an hour. It was so cold, I was so ready for it to be over! I'm very glad we went, and think it was a great experience for her. I just can't get over how well she behaved. What a good girl!

Jingle Bells to You All! :xmas:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Geyser and The Parade of Lights

Post by icvanstra »

Broad Ripple's Parade of Lights is next weekend.

Last year was the first year they had one here. One of my friends had a float and asked me to be in it with him ... for whatever reason he had me riding on a segway dressed as Tigger. :roll:

The whole thing was a blast. It was a good time to be out and about with all the other people from the area.

Haven't heard yet about this year though. The next weekend is supposed to be Christmas on Cornell, where I'm supposed to be Santa.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

icvanstra wrote:Broad Ripple's Parade of Lights is next weekend.

Last year was the first year they had one here. One of my friends had a float and asked me to be in it with him ... for whatever reason he had me riding on a segway dressed as Tigger. :roll:

The whole thing was a blast. It was a good time to be out and about with all the other people from the area.

Haven't heard yet about this year though. The next weekend is supposed to be Christmas on Cornell, where I'm supposed to be Santa.

Uh, PICTURES please! I know somebody HAD to have taken pictures of you for sure. :lol: :player:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Jan
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.

Post by Jan »

"I was so incredibly proud of her and so pleased with her good behavior. She was just awesome"

And with reason I'd say!
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

GSDNanny wrote: Uh, PICTURES please! I know somebody HAD to have taken pictures of you for sure. :lol: :player:
one of me:
2009pol.jpg
One of Peter dressed up as the grinch with another friends dog as Max:
2009pol-2.jpg
It was a lot of fun.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Parades? I am sure we have parades here. Somewhere. I used to hang out at a parade that went by my friends farm, but we did not take the dogs, we'd take the horses to get them used to the madness. :D But right now, I plead guilty to not having kept up with what parade takes place where. It would be a good thing to go to, and your story (congrats!) will have me researching my (missed) chances. :lol:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

I LOVE Tigger!! Gotta loves them stripes 8-) :lol:

I like going to parades with a pup too, sounds like she did a good job :yeah: