Baby Huey

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Dances With Empties
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Experience with Labs, GSD's, & Catahoulas. Just recently purchased a Dutch Shepherd.

Baby Huey

Post by Dances With Empties »

At the vet yesterday to book an appointment. Put the pup on the scale; just over 32 lbs. at 13 weeks!!! I've kept him on a strict diet, he's not fat by any means, but he seems huge to me for this age. I don't want him to grow too quickly as I know it can complicate things down the road. His food intake & quantity is good, roughly 4 cups a day in two servings. Had him on an adult meat kibble for about a week, but at the advice of the vet switch him back to puppy kibble.
Is this a normal size for a male at this age?
Jason
Tappy4me
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I've had Belgian Malinois for years at my folks. I just got married, and a friend of mine who does search and rescue, had been keeping an eye out for Mali puppies for me. He came across a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd female pup who needed a home. She doesn't have the nerves to do the search and rescue she was intended for, but is perfect pet material. She's enough of a challenge to be alot of fun :)

Re: Baby Huey

Post by Tappy4me »

Rufus is just shy of 30lbs at 14 wks. He is really skinny. Also wondering if that's normal for his age.
Owned by Flint (American Eskimo Dog) and Rufus (Dutch Shepherd mix) :)

In loving memory of Maiya, the best Dutch Shepherd. 2012-2013. At 14 months old, you had yet to live life to it's fullest. You touched our lives and will never be forgotten.

~Jess
Koekeishiya
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: N/A

Post by Koekeishiya »

I got Chewy when he was 9 weeks old, and he was barely 11 pounds. I took him to the vet after 6 days (earliest appointment for the lady that was recommended) and he was at 13.30 pounds. He weighs even more now, but I wont know for sure how much until next week when he has his next check up.

BUT when I got Chewy he was very malnourished, and is currently being treated for Coccidia and Hook worm. All skin and bones.

He is growing very fast now that he is getting healthier, has tons of loose skin for growing so I am expecting a growth spurt soon, and his paws and getting bigger. Do you have a picture?

When I met with my vet for the first time we talked about a feed plan for him to get more in his diet. She said to me 'a fat puppy is fine, a fat dog is not'
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

on his 4-month birthday yesterday, Tracer weighed 34 lb. at 3 month birthday [ 13 weeks? ], he was 24 lb.
[ at 10 weeks he was 13.8 lb.]
it sounds like you are going to have a big one. i am guessing that Tracer will be the biggest DS i will have or have ever had - at 80 lb maybe
until recently, i let him determine the quantity of food he got. he got more until there were leftovers that the others would then take [ except the leftovers from his one daily, super-high-nutrient meal would be saved for him to finish later]. it is pretty hard to over-feed a DS puppy as long as the quality going in them is good; they burn off so much and grow so fast that i find puppy-feeding guides [ and quantity guides for younger DS ] simply do not fulfill their needs. on the self-regulation, i suspect it works better in dogs/puppies that have not experienced deprivation, especially w/r/t speed of eating, but i really have not found a reliable correlation with histories of plenty vs. deprivation. Saki who fended for himself out in the wild on multiple occasions [ once for 3 weeks ] eats slowly and carefully. same for TD who was a stray [ but may not have faced deprivation], who all his life would only eat as much as he needed/wanted and was always a very muscular lean.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Dances With Empties
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Experience with Labs, GSD's, & Catahoulas. Just recently purchased a Dutch Shepherd.

Like I said before, he's not fat just proportionally large for 13 weeks. I'll try and post a current pic of him later tonight if I get a chance. I've seen G.S.D. pups his age & they usually aren't this big at this age. With no experience with this particular breed I wondered if he was growing too fast? Size isn't an issue for me, but health definitely is. I don't want to stress his joints or hips inadvertently.
Being a pup, he doesn't realize his size or strength of his bite & have put off socializing him with smaller kids right now until we get it under control. And he is a biter!!!
Jason
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

oh, i hope you didn't think that i was implying he was too big. was trying to relate that it is unlikely you are over-feeding him. but you bring up a point on which i have read little and thus know little re a growth rate that is too fast for his health. but if he is not fat, what can one do about it? underfeed him? it seems to me the best thing to do in this circumstance is to make sure his is getting ALL the nutrients [ as opposed to just food mass ] he needs to assure that the new body that is forming so fast has a really good foundation. i am a big believer in supplements in any case, but like with humans, the quality and completeness of early nutrition seems to make a big difference in physical and mental well-being.
do any of the really smart people here on the forum have cautionary insights on growth rates?
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Dances With Empties
Puppy

Here's some pics from tonight. Didn't think to put something beside him for comparison. Like a beer can or something... LOL!

Jason
johninny
Working Dog

Post by johninny »

he is really beautiful. love the way his coat color seems to change from body to neck to ears. re discussion above, he just looks very very healthy to me.
Dances With Empties
Puppy

Update: Just had him to the vet yesterday. 16 weeks & 40 lbs. No fat to be found on this guy...
Jason
Ramy
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I just acquired my first DS, Ruger is a 9 wk old male from working lines. We currently live in east Texas, and will be moving to remote (very remote) Eastern Oregon in the next 6 months. I hope to train my pup for wilderness SAR, agility, and possibly Schutzhund. I also have 2 standard poodles. I am looking for training advice specific to this breed, as he is quite different from any other dog I have worked with before. I am exploring clicker training with him, and it is my first attempt with it.

Post by Ramy »

As a vet, I can tell you a little about over-feeding puppies. About the time I started vet school, before I knew any better, I let a border collie pup self regulate. He was an absolute butterball. Yes, I know, BC's aren't supposed to have problems with being over-weight either. But this guy was an absolute pig and a bottomless pit. I ended up having to have OCD surgery done on him while I was in vet school because of it. His weight was an issue his entire life, he just did not have the typical BC metabolism.
Puppies should be lean. The pictures of this guy show the ideal body condition. You can see the back of his ribs, and I can tell you can easily palpate individual ribs. If you start finding a layer of fat over the ribs, you need to reduce the calories to the level that keeps them on the thin side. You won't reduce the adult size, just slow down how quickly he gets there. It's the fast growth with excessive calories (meaning enough to be putting on a fat layer) that contributes to cartilage and bone defects like OCD. Some people recommend using adult food in large pups to moderate the calorie intake, in an attempt to slow them down a little.
Looks like this will be a very large dog :shock:
Ramy
headed to Oregon from Texas
Ruger the new owner trainer
Dances With Empties
Puppy

Thank You for the advice. This guy is of the same fitness now, (will be 6 months Dec. 4th), & is at the 60lbs. mark. I feed him twice daily aprox. 2 cups a feeding. I cannot over state the fact that this guy has no fat!
With his large frame, I suspect by maturity he will be over 100 lbs.

It's a good thing he's a big suck!
Jason
Ramy
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I just acquired my first DS, Ruger is a 9 wk old male from working lines. We currently live in east Texas, and will be moving to remote (very remote) Eastern Oregon in the next 6 months. I hope to train my pup for wilderness SAR, agility, and possibly Schutzhund. I also have 2 standard poodles. I am looking for training advice specific to this breed, as he is quite different from any other dog I have worked with before. I am exploring clicker training with him, and it is my first attempt with it.

Post by Ramy »

Sounds like a Draft Shepherd rather than a Dutch Shepherd :lol:
Recent pictures?
Ramy
headed to Oregon from Texas
Ruger the new owner trainer