Wow! What a Girl!

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
sgar-LPC
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have recently adopted a military working dog, Dutch Shepherd breed, by the name of Hhinch. He is 16 months old and a bundle of energy!

Re: Wow! What a Girl!

Post by sgar-LPC »

Well Leih...we've had some progress. Nothing to be too excited about, but progress nonetheless! We were able to have our dog and one of our cats in the same room, one of us near each of them. It was right before dinner time for both, so both were hungry. We began by offering treats to the cat, then Hhinch (our DS) as well. He stayed in down-stay very well. The other two cats came in, but decided it wasn't worth the treats right now. Hhinch didn't lunge or try to chase at all! We even brought him closer. It was the best yet!! Our problem really now, is the cats don't want to be anywhere near him because he's chased all of them now. So getting them to be in the same room together is a feat. But, I am happy to report we are making baby steps! :ds:
Staci G
Texas
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Baby steps are fine! Any progress towards a goal is great. The important thing is that you're going in the right direction.

One thing I've found about cats is that it takes them a while to adjust to changes; they're so different from dogs. So, I would not be the least bit surprised that some of your cats don't trust the New Order from just a single or couple of sessions. In time, when they find out that when the dog is with you, they are not chased, they will gradually adjust. Also, it goes without saying...you've gotta have treats that would be considered kitty crack<g>. It has to be really worth it to them.

I assume you keep the dog on a drag line or something to prevent him from being able to chase them, too. It is great that he'll behave on a settle down, but when everyone is mobile and one of the cats takes off...gotta always be vigilant for that stuff<g>. I'd make sure to work a LOT on a very solid "leave it," for the times when stuff happens and he may start after one of them.

good job and I look forward to progress reports!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

eh-heh :oops: :oops: My dog (Ivil) just pulled a cat of the fence while it was trying to escape :oops: The cat is fine, just a bit scared of our garden from now on :roll:
sgar-LPC
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have recently adopted a military working dog, Dutch Shepherd breed, by the name of Hhinch. He is 16 months old and a bundle of energy!

Post by sgar-LPC »

One cat will not come near him, doesn't matter what treat we give her. She's our 'scaredy' cat, so we expect her to be the one to come around last. We did this again, the next day after I posted my last comment, and two stayed in the room (though we did strategically set it up where they couldn't have a quick getaway...a getaway, yes, but not a quick one). I stayed with the cats, treating them, and my husband with the dog. He keeps him on a close leash during these sessions where he is unable to lunge or chase them. We figured we better not press our luck and do this too much or too long of a time each time we do it in order to always have as much positive sessions as possible. So, we will take the small successes! Yay!

That Ivil!! I'm sure our dog is like 'what's the point in having these little furry things around if I can't chase them and play with them!' If I could read his mind I'm sure it would be a big question mark! :?: :shock:
Staci G
Texas
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

I do believe it is different when the cat would be ours, she grew up with a cat as a pup, and played with it nicely :roll:
sgar-LPC
Puppy

Post by sgar-LPC »

Major progress!!! Under supervision, they can be in the same room together now...Hhinch hasn't chased or lunged at them in weeks. YAY!! We would still never leave them alone together of course, as we know he would have his way with them, whatever that might be! But wow, just a lot of work and patience does pay off. I am going to get a picture of this soon and post it. :dsroll:
Staci G
Texas
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

sgar-LPC wrote:Major progress!!! Under supervision, they can be in the same room together now...Hhinch hasn't chased or lunged at them in weeks. YAY!! We would still never leave them alone together of course, as we know he would have his way with them, whatever that might be! But wow, just a lot of work and patience does pay off. I am going to get a picture of this soon and post it. :dsroll:
Woohoo! Way to go! :wtg:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

Yay! Looking forward to the picture :dslook:
sgar-LPC
Puppy

Post by sgar-LPC »

I tried to upload this photo from my Flickr site...made it 700x700 pixels...followed directions carefully, and I still couldn't get it to upload. Attempted several times. So, I am just going to post it as an attachment. It's not the best photo, but proves the integration is working!! Hope to get some better ones soon.
Attachments
Hhinch2.jpg
Staci G
Texas
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

wow! No blood to be seen :dssmile: :dschick:
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Wow is right! Fantastic progress!!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser