Wow! What a Girl!

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Wow! What a Girl!

Post by leih merigian »

For the longest time, ever since Geyser came to live with us 4.5 months ago (my, time does fly :) ), my two cats have respected the baby gate I use between the kitchen and the rest of the house. Both of them can leap very high, and over fences with no effort at all, so it's not like they can't get over it, they just haven't, which has made my life with Geyser much easier.

However, one of the cats jumped the baby gate the other day, when Geyser was in pursuit (stuff does happen, in spite of the most careful management<sigh>). The little bugger...now that he's jumped the gate, the idea has gotten into his little kitty brain that he can do so at will. And, he does so at the most inopportune times. (He makes me frigging nuts.)

So, tonite, I had Geyser on a settle down next to me by the kitchen counter, as I was cutting up treats. Suddenly, I heard a little plop, and the next thing I knew, Mac (the stupid cat) was walking right up behind me, then right in front of Geyser, about a foot in front of her face. Then he finally jumped up onto the counter.

Well, I was ready for all hell to break loose, but my little puppy just held her settle down, watched the cat, but stayed put. I was telling her how good she was as this happened, and reinforcing her a bunch. :wtg:

I was quite surprised that she was so good! :stickman: To say I was jazzed is an understatement.

There are times, I must admit, when I wish I could just let Geyser go for it after Mac :mrgreen: . He sure askes for it :bum:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Re: Wow! What a Girl!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

What a good girl!!!!! I don't know if Koenig could resist that blatant test of his honor.... it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hard to resist chasing the cat! What I love the best is when he's calm and sleepy. Lily (my cat) will rub up on him. Koenig makes the BEST faces. 'OH GOD, Mom, get it OFF me! Ewwww! I'm trying to sleep.' lol.
Kelly
Koenig
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

turnnburn52984 wrote:Koenig makes the BEST faces. 'OH GOD, Mom, get it OFF me! Ewwww! I'm trying to sleep.' lol.
Thanks!

Oh, I know that face so well! My GSD got along great with my cats, but she was a well-trained adult when I brought each of them home, which makes is a lot easier to explain about the cats being off limits :lol: .

Zodi (my dog) would lie on her bed, and one of the cats would come up to her and start sniffing her...she'd bare her teeth as hard as she could and put her face right up to the cat...the cat would just ignore her signals...she'd look up at me in desperation (knowing she couldn't do more than make mean faces, so frustrated that the cats wouldn't read/respond appropriately to them...). It would make me smile.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Tonight I was watching a movie on the couch. Cat (Lily) was curled up with me. Koenig (total brat child) came up, sat in front of her, and repeatedly jabbed her with his nose. It looked like how a dog solicits attention from humans (he's not allowed to do that, it's all on my invitation only), except he was bugging the cat! SOOOO funny. She happily obliged his request, and licked his face. I wish I had a camera handy. :(

Apparently the cat is OK on his terms....

LOL
Kelly
Koenig
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Boy, Lily is a very copacetic cat!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

i have some mini DS's here at the moment, that have no desire to coexist with the cats. They all seem like wonderful toys to them, and I will admit that one of the cats (all outside creatures) sollicits the crazy barking by slapping at them from the other side of the window pane. For now, I am just mildly amused by the fascination but I will praise the day when cats are no longer appealing to the brindles. *sigh*
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Yeah, those cats can be instigating little buggers, eh?

Mine know that when she's in a crate or XPen, that they're safe. So, they come and go, walking right by the XPen. Sometimes she's copacetic, sometimes she's Puppies Gone Wild. When I take her into the bedroom to put her in her crate, one of them knows the sound of the door closing and will immediately return to the bedroom.

One of them is declawed (my mom did that to her kitty before departing this earth), the other has all 18 claws. The one with the claws won't swipe at her (I kind of wish he would), and the one sans front claws hisses and growls and I'm pretty sure would use the equipment if he had it. Sigh.

Another cat-realated joy...being indoor/outdoor cats, they do their business outdoors (yay!). Well, the little doggie thinks cat poop is ambrosia. I'm going to be disabusing her of that notion (ditto deer poop, horse poop, dogs-who-don't-digest-their-food poop...ALL POOP IS VERBOTTEN!). Naturally, Geyser thinks I have no sense of humor...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

I've tried cats in the past, to no avail. :roll: It only takes one mishap with all my prey-driven guys and, well, you know. But they are all aging now and more settled so I may give it a try again. Since I don't do rescue anymore and the unstable environment that accompanies rescue most of the time, I have been thinking about a cat for my cabin at the farm, a large cat like maybe a Maine Coon type or something. A friend is a country vet so people are always dumping animals at her place so I will keep an eye out for one that just calls to my heart.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Well Denise, I have NOT tried cats. I don't have cats. But they seem to have me. :oops:
No matter how I try to tell them they do not live here, it falls on deaf ears (Putting food out does not help. Guilty your honor)
They probably figure that my dogs (kennels) keep the coyotes at bay, at least during the day and evening hours. Better than becoming coyote scat. :shock:
And Leih: you are so right! Fecal matter, of any form, seems to be a crowd favorite here as well. Disgusting.The woods are full of smells to eat and -according to some- wear. :eew: Yesterday, one of the adults had discovered what looked like corn on the cob. But without the cob. Just in rolled form, looking suspiciously like poo to me. :evil: Not sure who gorged themselves (Deer? Hog? Coyote?) but the brindles thought it was christmas candy. And I put a stop to the party. No sense of humor either. :redface:
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

vneerland wrote: And Leih: you are so right! Fecal matter, of any form, seems to be a crowd favorite here as well. Disgusting.The woods are full of smells to eat and -according to some- wear. :eew: Yesterday, one of the adults had discovered what looked like corn on the cob. But without the cob. Just in rolled form, looking suspiciously like poo to me. :evil: Not sure who gorged themselves (Deer? Hog? Coyote?) but the brindles thought it was christmas candy. And I put a stop to the party. No sense of humor either. :redface:
You ought to see what they consume at my farm!!!! Sheep and duck poo if they get the chance. I try to stop them but they still sneak a treat from time to time. I just make sure my farm critters are free from parasites or disease. And the rolling in nasty stuff. That shoulder drops and its done so fast, all the way down between the shoulders to the back. And they get up looking so proud, til I holler!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

owww juc!
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Oh yeah, the wearing of the nasty stuff! The rolling and rubbing in it..."if you won't let me eat it, well then, I'll just wear it!" And so lightning fast in making it happen...

We just got our first snow, not much, a couple of inches, but enough to cover the ground and make things a little easier in the consumption-of-goodies realm :wtg:

As a side note, she doesn't seem to love snow...it's interesting to her, she likes to eat it, stick her nose in it some, but not crazy about it. My GSD went bonkers over snow...rolled in it, made doggie angels, was so happy it was so much fun to watch. We'll see...it's early times yet, I know, but I was a little surprised at the lackluster response to the white stuff...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

leih merigian wrote:As a side note, she doesn't seem to love snow...it's interesting to her, she likes to eat it, stick her nose in it some, but not crazy about it. My GSD went bonkers over snow...rolled in it, made doggie angels, was so happy it was so much fun to watch. We'll see...it's early times yet, I know, but I was a little surprised at the lackluster response to the white stuff...
:lol: Maybe she is just smart. Like all those who see that white stuff coming down, and worrying about the christmas shopping they have not finised, or the commute to work in the morning, stuck in lots of that slick mess.
;)
sgar-LPC
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have recently adopted a military working dog, Dutch Shepherd breed, by the name of Hhinch. He is 16 months old and a bundle of energy!

Post by sgar-LPC »

I am so glad to hear I am not the only one with a DS and cats. We have 3 indoor cats; we have always had indoor cats. And we have completely rocked their world with this large indoor dog. In order to keep our cats safe, we have the living room gated off where Hhinch (our DS) can't get out, but the cats are able to come in if they so choose to. This is during the time we are home and in the living room with him under supervision of course! And two of them like to try it. We are on Hhinch with 'leave it' immediately when we either see a cat come in the room or see his demeanor change to 'I see one of them'. He has now chased all 3 of them, but luckily all have gotten away. He is just now learning 'down-stay', so he doesn't stay in control typically when he sees a cat. Now, we have had times where he just stares at them and actually will let them alone as they jump on the sofa or one us...but he's quite unpredictable. We don't need them being best buds, but we soooooooo hope one day he will STOP the obsession. I sure hope that's not just wishful thinking.
Staci G
Texas
Aztechalo
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in North Monterey County, CA with my husband, three step kids, one gorgeous and wonderful Dutch Shepherd and a whole bunch of livestock type animals. The humans are into sustainable farming, the dog is into chasing deer and digging up gophers. My day job is an Operations Supervisor at Santa Cruz Regional 911. One of these days, I'm going to get another DS.

Post by Aztechalo »

:lol: I call the cat litter box the snack tray. I always know Chaos has been in there when she walks in, looking not guilty enough, with a kitty litter mustache.

At some point I accepted that she's helping me keep the litter box clean but I never, never let her lick me. :eew:
Marsha and Chaos (4 yo, DS)

In all Chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.
-Carl Jung
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

We have been making a lot of progress in the kitty/puppy relations category :lol: .

She is allowed to look at the cats, but not chase them or approach them in any rowdy way, period. And, if one of the cats jumps the gate, just behave. She's getting the message.

The other nite, we had our first three-way training session with Boozoo the Cat, Geyser the 7 month old, and me. It went so well I was on cloud 9.

Some proof...

:stickman: :stickman: :stickman:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

:shock: wow, you must feel proud 8-)
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Marjolein wrote::shock: wow, you must feel proud 8-)
I really do!

I look forward to the day when they can all be free in the house together, in harmony. (No, Judith, I'm not rushing it! I'm enjoying her puppyhood! :mrgreen: )

I am certain we'll get there, one step at a time.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
sgar-LPC
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have recently adopted a military working dog, Dutch Shepherd breed, by the name of Hhinch. He is 16 months old and a bundle of energy!

Post by sgar-LPC »

Leih, that is AMAZING!!!! There is hope! I feel hope now!! Thanks for posting those. I am going to show my husband. There is no way we would be able to allow our DS that kind of access to the cats without having him on the leash. I am so impressed! One day...one day...
Staci G
Texas
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Staci...just keep working at it! You have to believe it's possible, set very black and white rules, and then, reinforce the good behavior and correct the wrong. It can be!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser