wrestling / roughhousing

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Re: wrestling / roughhousing

Post by johninny »

the thing i do with a recalcitrant mouthy pup [ for me, it's one that is not careful is his mouthiness rather than the mouthiness per se ] that is not getting it: i push my hand/arm/foot to the back of his mouth and keep it there too long from his point of view the moment he goes beyond an acceptable communicative mouthiness. after working for awhile as has been described by others, if more needs to be done, i find this action done 2 to 4 times gets the dog pretty much to perfection - even under extreme excitement. immediately upon extracting my limb, i offer the/a limb up the the dog in friendship and it is always accepted with love and care. this technique is not for everyone and is good to use only after a puppy should already know the basics of what is expected. and maybe it works so well for me because i have never wanted to stop mouthiness - have only wanted to make it 100% safe. so not necessarily recommending, but there it is for what it is worth.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Re: wrestling / roughhousing

Post by Sugars Mom »

Thanks John and Sharon!
Sue (and Sugar)