Trying to Figure This Out

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Trying to Figure This Out

Post by leih merigian »

OK, so Geyser is 7 months old now. From very early on, and I mean within a week of her getting here, she could go all nite in her crate without needing to be taken out. As she's gotten older, that's gotten even more solid. 9 hours with no problem at all is the norm.

However, the past several nites, she's started wanting to go out at 12:45 am. It makes me nuts. I take her out, she pees, maybe just a tablesoon or so (the little stinker), then back into her crate. There is no petting, no playing, no treats for going in the crate, nothing fun at all, just do your business and back to bed.

But, I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. I doubt very much it is anything like a physical issue; her urination pattern has not changed at all during the day (if she had a UTI, I'd expect her to need to go more frequently).

The only think that I can think of is that a few weeks ago, I came up kind of lame, and we haven't been able to do our regular morning hikes. They are moderately strenuous and great exercise for her, plus all the wonderful things about being in the woods on trails. Usually, we hike in the morning, then have a fetch session or two later in the day, plus various training sessions. What I've been doing since I've been lame is a modified walk with more fetch in the morning, to make up for the missed hiking, then another fetch session during the afternoon. I go by her energy level during fetching; if she seems tired or resting too much, we're done. I want to be so careful with her young joints!

I know the hiking wears her out in ways that just the physical activity of fetching doesn't, and I'm wondering if this is enough to cause the nightime changes in her?

Or, it could be something totally different.

I'm open to ideas :!:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Re: Trying to Figure This Out

Post by vneerland »

Hard to judge. I personally do not think that activity plays into it. I have never had my dogs complain in such a manner when they were not getting as much work/play. I would suspect a urinary tract infection, or maybe even more shocking: first heat around the corner and her hormones playing up. You could test the urge to pee, by ignoring her request at 12.45 Does she get (more) frantic? Or does she settle down? If she messes in the crate, I guess you will know that she is not just bored in her box, but needing to relieve herself.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

What about doing some mentally taxing things before bed? Letty is MUCH better in her crate when she's had good exercise (harder to do with this crappy winter) and a good training session before bed. Geyser's probably doing tons of sniffing and using her brain on the hikes.

Judith - they are just little tiny babies and can't possibly be going into season any time soon! (I'm trying to stay in denial. Although on a snowy hike the other day I kept seeing drops of blood and kept blotting poor Letty's bottom with a Kleenex.)
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

k9katet wrote:Judith - they are just little tiny babies and can't possibly be going into season any time soon! (I'm trying to stay in denial. Although on a snowy hike the other day I kept seeing drops of blood and kept blotting poor Letty's bottom with a Kleenex.)
:lol: I know what you mean. You are still carring them to their little bed when the fall over and fall asleep after wild play. They still fit perfectly in your arms. And you are still in the process of admiring their freshly standing ears and newly aquired housebreaking skills.
:mrgreen:
My own pups stay pups untill a smaller one comes around. Then I finally have to realize that they are growing/grown up. :?
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

OMG...it can't be her first season yet...can it? :eek:

I am also wondering if it's just boredom of some kind.

Heather...Geyser gets so much activity, both physical and mental...our last training session is usually early evening (6:30 - 7:30 ish). But, the evenings from then on are generally quiet times.

Last nite, I thought I'd take her out for her last walk and after she did her business, play some fetch to get her good and tired. So, we did that. I made sure she'd peed a couple of times, then put her in her crate (this was a late evening for us, so it was midnight by this time).

10 minutes later, she said "I NEED to go out." Fine. Got dressed again <grrrr> and took her out. She didn't do anything except screw around.

I am really starting to think she's ****ing with me. I'm going to start ignoring her, Judith (that was my next plan), if I'm certain she's done everything she may need to do. Even if she as a tablespoon worth of urine in there, she should be able to wait, is my guess. But, I am not going to let her make this a regular thing, that's for damn sure!

Teenagers!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

Do you ever crate during the day? If so, how does she behave then?
And if not, I would introduce that, for a while. To see if she can hold it. Do make sure you do not have an UTI, but if you do, that should not just show up at night, of course.
Good luck!
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

She is crated during the day sometimes, and no problems at all. We have a routine, you see<g>. I need to rest in the PMs and when I do, she's in her crate in the bedroom. She's in an XPen in the kitchen other times, and no issues there.

The past couple of nites, after her final outing (and I give her plenty of time to do anything she needs to do), when she started fussing about wanting out, I just said, "no, go to sleep," and within a minute, the fussing stopped. Each nite. So, I really think she just wanted to go out and smell the night stars and such.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser