Preparing for a pup

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Preparing for a pup

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Mobil wrote:Reading that breeder's website, I'm feeling icky about the fact that their health guarantee has "Feeding the “Wild Blue” dog/puppy food OR the “Raw” diet of any kind does void this warranty!" as a caveat. Especially combined with such shitty food recommendations.

Are you being serious ?????????

I would feel very icky too.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Also I just noticed that this is an old thread. Oops.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Mobil wrote:Also, why does this breeder remove their dewclaws? My pups have theirs, they are obviously attached and usable, not floppy and useless. I thought DSDs were supposed to have front dewclaws.
They should, yes. It's my understanding that there are many tendons attached to them, so unless there's a sound medical reason....

We'd be less bent in useless--and dare I say painful?--"mutilation" if such practices were imposed on us.

Side-note to above comment: Made the mistake of going to vet who used to sit on the board of the zoo at which I worked. Wouldn't touch my animals, chalked a growth on one up to "getting old" (which the growth was not that, I found later), and talked more about himself and his greatness (not kidding) than he did about the animals. (Think three shirt buttons open and a gold chain, and that would be him.) I bailed and found another vet.

Anyway...several years later he was diagnosed with cancer. A friend of mine who continued to see him said the pain of the disease and treatment, about which he openly spoke, changed him. He became extremely compassionate toward the animals in his charge...touching them, talking to them, and taking a different stance on their pain management and overall care. (He'd previously made fun of my friend because she wanted her dog's pain alleviated. Called her a typical hysterical mother who thinks everything needs a Band-aid.)

Geez. It took getting cancer to even make him empathetic? :?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~