Puppy weight.

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Devo7
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am the proud owner of a dutch shepherd pup named Chief! I am also the proud owner of a jack Russell/ chihuahua mix named Starsky. I completed school to be a vet tech and I now travel with my husband.

Puppy weight.

Post by Devo7 »

Hello, just curious about approximate puppy weights. My little guy is 12.5lbs at 9 weeks (as of today at the vet) just wondering if that is normal. I just want to get an idea. :)
Devan. Starsky & Chief..... no Hutch yet!!
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Re: Puppy weight.

Post by karenz »

I'm no expert by any means but Xander was 10 pounds at 7-8 weeks and 16-17 pounds at 10-11 weeks. He is getting ready to have his 1st birthday and is just shy of 70 pounds.
Karen & Xander
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

i think that was about Tracer's weight at 9 weeks - when he arrived and quickly had his 1st vet visit. might have been 11 lbs. memory vague and i did not start writing it down at every vet visit til the 2nd visit - which was at 12 1/2 weeks when he weighed 24 lbs.! they grow like weeds.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Devo7
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am the proud owner of a dutch shepherd pup named Chief! I am also the proud owner of a jack Russell/ chihuahua mix named Starsky. I completed school to be a vet tech and I now travel with my husband.

Post by Devo7 »

Oh ok. It is fun watching them grow up. He has gained a pound and a half since we have had him. It doesn't seem like much but he has gotten bigger.
Devan. Starsky & Chief..... no Hutch yet!!
zephyrus23
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Purchased a Dutch Shepherd female puppy. would like to learn how to raise her properly and teach her to herd.

Post by zephyrus23 »

Hi,

I have a concern too. I just purchased a Dutch shepherd (first time owner) and I am worried she might be too small. she turns 10 weeks tomorrow and weighs in at only 8.2lbs. I'm thinking she might have been neglected. Anyone have a puppy similar to the size and maybe a recommendation on diet to help her out? I'm thinking she might not be as old as I was told. Thought?
Attachments
doggy1.PNG
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Where did you get her from? Do you know anything about her parents? She looks really tiny (could be the photo). I think my guy was on the smaller side as a pup - at 3 months he was like 15-20 lbs - and though I didn't get weight on him at 8 weeks I would hazard a guess he was 10ish pounds. Now he's 66 lbs and all muscle. What are you feeding her now and how much is she eating? She could just be from a smaller line, or the runt of the litter. I wouldn't be too worried unless she seems either really skinny, stopped growing, very lethargic/sickly, or dropping weight fast. Even the smaller ones will catch up eventually, they just go at their own speed.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

I would also be interested to find out from whom she was purchased. I have a male and a female, and at that age, my girl was about twelve pounds. She's a year old now and weighs 49 pounds, so she's not huge.

Are you sure she's a DSD? or isn't a cross with another breed? Her face looks tiny.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

zephyrus23
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Purchased a Dutch Shepherd female puppy. would like to learn how to raise her properly and teach her to herd.

Post by zephyrus23 »

Thank you both repling so quickly. Her face does look smaller than what I've seen in the breed. I'm going to try to upload some more photos. I took her to the vet today and everything checked out with her health wise. I have been feeding her wellness and Decided to add some puppy can food as well. I'm going to keep track of her weight gain for the next couple weeks. She had gained .6lbs since yesterday and is now at 8.8lbs. I'm thinking she is a mix or the runt of the litter. I hope if she is a mix, that those herding traits carried over. We have a farm with goats and cattle and we are wanting to train her. :D
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

There are some threads on DS herding on here. Some are under Photos, but all are older threads, so I'd do an advanced search to catch them all. As you'll read, some DSs can successfully herd (more apt to line herd, I guess), but not all/most anymore. And from what I remember of the threads, there were some "casualties" along the way even with the DSs who had the temperament for it.

I could never, ever attempt herding with mine.

Your baby is super-cute. That face. The expression. Adorable.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

zephyrus23 wrote:I'm going to try to upload some more photos.
Yesyesyes. We definitely need more photos.

Um, for science. :whistle: :mrgreen:
Dusty,

zephyrus23
Just Whelped

Post by zephyrus23 »

Here are a couple more photos. Her face does look more pointed. Could be she just needs to gain weight
Attachments
IMAG0332_1.jpg
Screenshot_2015-04-27-22-17-13_1.jpg
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Here's a pic of my guy at 7ish weeks for reference. He's the little light one. I think those are his litter mates but I can't be super sure.

He was small as a pup and super skinny growing but he evened out. As long as she's healthy and not too skinny, and vet isn't worried, I wouldn't worry too much. There are some DS that we pocket rockets which are awesome. Depends on the lines.
Attachments
image.jpg
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Tripmomma
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My family welcomed our first DSD 12/14. I have shown GSD's and APBT's in conformation, my goal is to have more of a working interest with our Dutchie. My husband and I have 4 young children, Kitsune adores them. Kitsune has begun IPO training, we hope to get her BH in 2016. We are in love with this breed and have plans to import a male pup soon.

Post by Tripmomma »

Kitsune was a small girl, but around 4 1/2 months she started really catching up. Now at 5 months she looks pretty much normal size for a female. I feed raw and she does amazing on it. Be sure your pup has been checked for worms, and had a check up with the vet as long as she is healthy don't worry too much about weight.
~*~Katrina~*~
Kitsune de las Flores 10/14
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

zephyrus23 wrote:Here are a couple more photos. Her face does look more pointed. Could be she just needs to gain weight
Haha those almost look like two different puppies.

we need more adorable photos. For science.

Something with her next to an object for scale would be good.

Teeny weeny cute puppy.
Dusty,