Puppy growth?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Puppy growth?

Post by brindledog »

I got Grendel last week at 9.5 weeks old and she weighed in at 13.5 lbs.
Despite getting dewormed with her first round of shots, I saw both roundworms AND tape worms about 5 days later, so she got a more comprehensive dewormer and finished it today

I mention the worms because I weighed her today and she has not gained an ounce. In fact, it appears she may have even lost a little weight (different scale, so not sure about accuracy).

I'm not sure what to expect about her growth. She is 1/2 DS and 1/2 GSD. I saw both of her parents. Dad is an average size GSD, maybe ~75lbs or so. Mom is DS and appeared to be in the mid to high 50's range.

I wasn't too concerned until people started commenting on how small she is for 10.5 weeks. Shouldn't she have put on some weight in a week? She's eating very well, and the vet said not to overfeed her because it could be contributing to the soft poop she is having.

Grendel is great (crazy, but great), and I'm going to love her regardless of her size, but I would like some point of reference for growth. I was kind of upset when I used an online puppy weight predictor and it said that, based on her current age and weight, she'd end up 36 lbs as an adult! While I think that's highly unlikely, I would like to do whatever I can to ensure she reaches her maximum potential size-wise.

-Tastie
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Puppy growth?

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I wouldn't be too worried unless the vet is worried. With the worming they tend to lose a bit of weight but gain it back quickly. For an idea, average the two parents weight, so 75+55/2 = 65 ish range.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Post by brindledog »

I wanted to update on Grendel, for my own fulfillment. :P

As of Monday she was 12.5 weeks and 19lbs, 45 oz. Today (Wednesday), she has tipped the scale at 20. She is getting tall (14.5 in. last week) and crazier. Tomorrow she is 13 weeks and I'm guessing this is the puppy equivalent of the terrible twos! She is now tall enough to cause problems.

I look forward to her having all her shots so she can get crazy at the park instead of in my home!

She is so smart, and can jump as well as my cat. I'm not sure how I can even "puppy proof" my place against her!!

Lisa G.
jdlvtrn
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: involved w/different aspects of dog hobby for 47 yrs, now I have my first Dutch Shepherd. Significant contrasts from day 1.

Post by jdlvtrn »

Got my first DS (male) who was 14 lbs at 10 weeks. Also wormy, also was predicted by on-line puppy chart to be small for breed at maturity. He is now 52+ lbs/22" at 6 months - which looks more typical. Consistent quality nutrition and basic health/exercise will ensure all dogs reach their genetic potential. But while they're getting there, we can't help but worry. More closely bred pedigree may influence loss of size.