puppy 7 months still skinny

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
ralbucks
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: new puppy owner

puppy 7 months still skinny

Post by ralbucks »

Hello there,

My puppy eats a lot. Has very good appetite, no worms, good health. However he is still looking skinny, but no ribs showing. He is 7 months old as of today. He weighs around 44 pounds. And he is maybe 21-22 inches tall at the withers. My question is: will he still grow in height? I know that they have growth spurts but these can vary depending on breed. When do DS have their last growth spurt? The vet said he would be a medium size dog based on his paws. He still has a lot of extra skin especially on his neck that needs to be filled, but his paws are not huge. When will that extra skin be filled? Is he going to be on the low end of average size for DS? I'm a little confused as our neighbour has a dog he says is Dutch shepherd who is much taller. Does it matter that we rescued him 4 months ago? he had a big growth spurt when he was 4-5 months old. :DSlove: M[attachment=0]puppy6.jpg[/attachment]aybe he was the smallest of his litter. Thanks.
Attachments
puppy6.jpg
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: puppy 7 months still skinny

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I would not worry, as long as he is healthy he will be what he will be. We cannot say what his end height and weight will be with certainty. They usually grow until a year or so, then still fill out after a year. Mine are very different too, they are both about 55 lbs but Sadie is very tall and Thalie is shorter and stocky.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ralbucks
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: new puppy owner

Post by ralbucks »

Thanks @ dutchringgirl. I just hope he does become less skinny soon.
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Post by brindledog »

Hey ralbucks- how big is your dog now?
My puppy is nearing 7 months and apparently has not increased in size at all in the 3 weeks that she's been away at boarding school.
Before she left, she was about 21.5 inches tall and 46 lbs (though trainer scared me saying last weight was 42.6!- that can't be right!).

Anyway, curious if your dog had a growth spurt--I'm really hoping Grendel does, because a small AND nervous dog is not exactly what I was planning on.