Wrapping ears.

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
summiew1980
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello I am from TN. I have a Male Dutch that I just love so much!

Wrapping ears.

Post by summiew1980 »

My dutch male just turned 6 months. His ears are still not standing, so I have started wrapping them. He is from a KNVP working line, so I really want them to stand. He is a very big boy 55 pounds at 6 months old ( and he is the smaller of the litter) his his head is Big! And ears long! I wanted to be safe and go ahead and wrap them.
My question is when does the cartilage start forming? He is done teething, all teeth are in, yet ears are still so floppy. I have a doberman, so I have done the whole ear wrapping thing.....just curious if anyone else has done this at 6 months. And if so how did it work out for you.

Thanks again.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Wrapping ears.

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I wrapped Sadies ears, the wrapping didnt work but the stood up by themselves anyway
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
summiew1980
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello I am from TN. I have a Male Dutch that I just love so much!

Post by summiew1980 »

:DSangel: How long did it take for them to stand?
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I wrapped Xander's ears off and on from about 5 months to about 7 or 8 months with no luck. I gave up and they finally stood up and stayed up a little over 9 months.
Karen & Xander
summiew1980
Just Whelped

Post by summiew1980 »

Is he a big boy with longer ears? My research has determined that the longer the ear the, longer it takes???
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

summiew1980 wrote:Is he a big boy with longer ears? My research has determined that the longer the ear the, longer it takes???
Xander is fairly big. He's about 75 pounds and pretty tall. His ears are big but also kinda wide compared to other ds I've seen. And his ears are thick. I worried about them not staying up but decided it didn't matter. And then bam, one day they were up and stayed when he was somewhere around 9 1/2 months.
Karen & Xander
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadie is 55lbs and huge ears, id say around 9 months too is when hers stood. Hers are floppy so they stand all the time but flop when she runs.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

Hilde is tiny (just under 40 lbs) and her ears were totally floppy when we got her @ 7 months. They began standing shortly after that (a month or two).
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

ears are so variable,,,,,,,,,,,but, sooner or later in most cases barring injury well bred DS ears will rise.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability