Puppy size

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Dotson101
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a Dutch shepherd puppy who is my whole world.

Puppy size

Post by Dotson101 »

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I just brought home my Dutch shepherd puppy about 2 months ago. His dad is Timo, a much larger than average Dutch shepherd. Right now Jax is 7 months old. He weighs 58 lbs. his size isn't super important to me. Everyone seems to think he's big for his age the way it is. I really just wanna know how large everyone thinks he may get. I am used to the English mastiff breed and their growth patterns, and I don't have a clue as to how Dutchies grow. Any input is greatly appreciated. If I can figure out how to post pictures then I will. & If I don't figure it out you can check out his pictures on instagram @That_boxed_dude.
Dotson101
Just Whelped

Re: Puppy size

Post by Dotson101 »

Sorry.. @that_boxer_dude****
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Damn! 58lbs @7 months! My Shiloh was around the same at that point and she's about 100 lbs.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dotson101
Just Whelped

Post by Dotson101 »

That's what I like to hear! I was just informed that his dad, Timo, weighs 110. Or around that.
Dotson101
Just Whelped

Post by Dotson101 »

Anyone else have input??
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I believe there's a lot of discussion on this forum surrounding weight a search for that term brings back over 570 posts.

I've always concerned myself mostly with making sure my dogs are not overweight which causes the same issues as in humans - joint problems, heart problems, etc.

I know having a big powerful dog is desirable, but I am wondering if we as owners make too much of this.

I am not sure I would call my Radar big at 65lbs, but he is intimidating as heck.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dotson101
Just Whelped

Post by Dotson101 »

Jax has practically no fat on him whatsoever, but like I said, )8: dad was Timo, a really well know male. He weighs about 110 & is as good looking as they come.
Dotson101
Just Whelped

Post by Dotson101 »

His** I don't know why it said ")8:" lol
Jlobes
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Previously had a DutchXMal and knew at that moment, they were the best dogs ever. Unfortunately, I lost her in an accident as a pup @9mo., but I was sold on the dutchies. I cant imagine having another breed, they are the total package dogs.

Got my boy FURY from Vrijheid. He was born 4/23/16 and i picked him up 6/29. Working on basics(OB, manners, etc), some NW and figuring out what we want to focus on for the future work.

Post by Jlobes »

congrats on your pup, hope he's doing great! Timo is from vandalia, yeah? I was in touch with Betsy when i was looking for a pup and i know she had some timo litters upcoming, but decided to go with Asheley and josh @ Vrijheid.
My pup, FURY(Vrijheids Hector X Kosmic V LeDobry) is just over 7mo as well dob:4/23/17 and he's a big boy! I think he is/has been the biggest pup in the litter of 11(8M3F) from the start. He weighed in at 59# yesterday. so sounds like Jax and Fury are similar in size. similar to you, people say Fury is big boy for his age as well....
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I don't know what happened to my post but it disappeared. I will try again.

My Timo son is about 75 to 80 pounds and about 26 inches tall. He actually put on about 5 pounds since he was nearing his 3rd birthday. He isn't fat anywhere. I can feel his ribs when I run my hand down his sides. Even if he gained another 5 to 10 pounds I don't think he would be fat.

He is a good size. I hope he doesn't get bigger since he likes to sit on my lap. Lol
Karen & Xander
Dotson101
Just Whelped

Post by Dotson101 »

karenz wrote:I don't know what happened to my post but it disappeared. I will try again.

My Timo son is about 75 to 80 pounds and about 26 inches tall. He actually put on about 5 pounds since he was nearing his 3rd birthday. He isn't fat anywhere. I can feel his ribs when I run my hand down his sides. Even if he gained another 5 to 10 pounds I don't think he would be fat.

He is a good size. I hope he doesn't get bigger since he likes to sit on my lap. Lol
I heard from the lady who was the breeder that Jax was the smallest of his litter. His siblings Already weigh 65lbs.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I was hoping for a dog in that weight range. I have to admit though, it's pretty nice having a little couch size dog.
I should look at En's pedigree. She's from Vandalia, too. I don't remember if Timo is in her bloodline.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Lexi is about 65 at two years. She never would want to climb in my lap until we got a pup and I snuggle with the pup in my lap. Pup is now 50 and I still pull her up on my lap. Now Lexi just thinks it is the thing to do. I'm not sure the chair could hold me and a 100 pound dog. I love big dogs and have had a couple over 100 but the older I get... 65 is plenty big for me :D
Dotson101
Just Whelped

Post by Dotson101 »

Jlobes wrote:congrats on your pup, hope he's doing great! Timo is from vandalia, yeah? I was in touch with Betsy when i was looking for a pup and i know she had some timo litters upcoming, but decided to go with Asheley and josh @ Vrijheid.
My pup, FURY(Vrijheids Hector X Kosmic V LeDobry) is just over 7mo as well dob:4/23/17 and he's a big boy! I think he is/has been the biggest pup in the litter of 11(8M3F) from the start. He weighed in at 59# yesterday. so sounds like Jax and Fury are similar in size. similar to you, people say Fury is big boy for his age as well....

Yeah Timo is from vandalia! Do you have an instagram account? You could see Jax on there. It'd give you an idea of what he'd look like
Dotson101
Just Whelped

Post by Dotson101 »

Nevermind, I misread the post. I thought you were still looking for a Timo pup. Lol
Patrick
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in central Florida and appreciate and enjoy working dogs!

Post by Patrick »

Having weight can be good and bad. I suppose it depends on the purpose of the dog. Some dogs are 100 pounds and are fat, slow and have little stamina.