New little monster of ours

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Tappy4me
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I've had Belgian Malinois for years at my folks. I just got married, and a friend of mine who does search and rescue, had been keeping an eye out for Mali puppies for me. He came across a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd female pup who needed a home. She doesn't have the nerves to do the search and rescue she was intended for, but is perfect pet material. She's enough of a challenge to be alot of fun :)

New little monster of ours

Post by Tappy4me »

:DSlove:
Here is our new little girl. She was born on Halloween:)
We're still working on a name for her. She's going to be so much fun, and she and our daughter (15 months) are having a blast already haha. Rufus is doing great too!
Working on crate training...she absolutely hates it..any suggestions would be appreciated! Name suggestions too

Owned by Flint (American Eskimo Dog) and Rufus (Dutch Shepherd mix) :)

In loving memory of Maiya, the best Dutch Shepherd. 2012-2013. At 14 months old, you had yet to live life to it's fullest. You touched our lives and will never be forgotten.

~Jess
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: New little monster of ours

Post by centrop67 »

There's a lot of literature out there on crate training. I think the two key factors are patience and making it a positive experience.

As for names...

There's an old post from a few years back with female DS names -> Link

One of the links in the post has a list of Dutch female names -> link

Other Ideas:

Finally, I came a cross this in a search...

Let Your Shepherd Pick Their Own Name!

Still having trouble? Maybe the answer doesn't lie in your hands. Consider letting your dog decide! It may sound silly, but it could generate some good results.

Here are a few fun and entertaining ways to make this happen:

Index cards: Write the names you are stuck between on index cards and lay the cards down on the floor. You can get the whole family involved and everyone can write a few names they like! On each card, place a piece of dog food paying no attention to which pieces go on which card; this is to avoid biasing any of the names. Let your unnamed German Shepherd into the room. The first piece of food he or she eats is the name they've chosen!

Call out names:If you have a few different candidate names, sit across a room from your canine and start calling out the names with five second delay between each one. If he or she responds to one of them, even if it seems like a coincidence, your dog has picked their name. Perhaps a certain name will sound “catchy” enough to your German shepherd to get their attention!

Family circle: Have your family members form a circle around the dog—but not too close, you don’t want to scare him! Each family member should have one name picked out and everyone should begin calling out the name at the same time. Whoever the dog goes to is the name he or she picks!

Pees on trees: Okay, this one is quite silly and only works for male dogs, but it makes for fun conversation later! If you have a bunch of trees in your backyard, pin the potential names to each tree and let him out to go potty. The first tree he marks is the name he picks!

Letting the dog choose his own her own name is a lot of fun for the family if you just can’t pick one on your own. Once your canine has picked the name, give him or her a nice treat. Picking a name is a lot of work!
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Tappy4me
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I've had Belgian Malinois for years at my folks. I just got married, and a friend of mine who does search and rescue, had been keeping an eye out for Mali puppies for me. He came across a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd female pup who needed a home. She doesn't have the nerves to do the search and rescue she was intended for, but is perfect pet material. She's enough of a challenge to be alot of fun :)

Post by Tappy4me »

Thanks! We've crate trained before but our Mals were 16 years ago, and Flint, Rufus and Maiya were a breeze. This pup is completely different! Been reading up and we're definitely trying to keep it a positive experience for her :)

In loving memory of Maiya, the best Dutch Shepherd. 2012-2013. At 14 months old, you had yet to live life to it's fullest. You touched our lives and will never be forgotten.

~Jess
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

Adorable! Congratulations! I was just thinking about "little" Rufus last night. It seems like just yesterday when we had that fun handover trip. As for the name, I tried to come up with a pairing with Rufus, but the best I could come up with is Carla. Rufus and Carla were a father-daughter duet on Stax records in the '60s.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
Tappy4me
Green Dog

Post by Tappy4me »

He is now huge haha...I'll have to post a pic soon. He's over 100lbs now...but once we move to our new house I'm hoping to get him back to 95 or so lol

~Jess
Tappy4me
Green Dog

Post by Tappy4me »

So, we decided to switch to a litter mate of the above pup I posted. While we liked her alot, she wasn't the correct fit for us with our little one. Otherwise, she'd have been staying. She is an amazing pup and I'd love to see what she ends up doing.

This pup is a little more on the mellow side and seems to be the perfect fit. Meet Zelda! She's the runt of the litter.

~Jess