Must have puppy supplies?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Must have puppy supplies?

Post by Tyler Durden »

Hi, trying not to miss anything. Can you guys help me with some must have puppy supplies that you absolutely cannot live without when raising this breed? How do they compare to GSDs?
thanks
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Must have puppy supplies?

Post by TimL_168 »

Another puppy. I'd definitely start by getting a second puppy :player:
·Patience
·Jumbo pack of paper towels
·I've recently found an honest to God trainer's treat pouch to be extremely useful.
·Crate
·Patience
·A handful of different soft chews/tugs. Get different types to see what he likes. What he likes might change.
·If you're looking for more examples of what to expect, try this handy video:https://youtu.be/5di1sfvLIYY
·Patience
:pint:

Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Post by Tyler Durden »

TimL_168 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:36 am Another puppy. I'd definitely start by getting a second puppy :player:
·Patience
·Jumbo pack of paper towels
·I've recently found an honest to God trainer's treat pouch to be extremely useful.
·Crate
·Patience
·A handful of different soft chews/tugs. Get different types to see what he likes. What he likes might change.
·If you're looking for more examples of what to expect, try this handy video:https://youtu.be/5di1sfvLIYY
·Patience
:pint:
Jesus, tell me it aint that bad lol.
I've had GSDs and they were a handful to say the least, so I'm kind of expecting a T-rex in a pups body. But over the years I learned that if I tire them out physically and mentally then I can at least sleep at night. :D

How about an exercise pen? Those Ed Frawley videos say they are essential.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Honestly man, I got Endeavor at 15 months old. Her old owner told me she was evil. Said she ate the ceramic tiles up from the bathroom floor. The woman that had her as a pup did a GREAT JOB of raising her. I think the key is working in short lessons throughout the day, and just make everything fun for the dog.
Patience. I still need it now that she's 2 and generally very well behaved. It's easy to get pushy and have the dog shut down (or worse).
I've never used an exercise pen, but I can definitely understand their utility.
With regard to sleeping at night...I guess I'm lucky. Are you planning on crating the pup? I think I've heard folks recommend crating close to you at night. Get the pup happy and comfortable in the crate. En sleeps though the night now next to our bed, but she'd be equally comfortable in her crate in the living room.
You'll be fine. They're not ...evil...I guess. Just everything your GSD might be turned up to 11.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

some kind of crate or pen is essential when theyre puppies. despite exercising as much as humanly possible and devoting an entire dog proofed room for the creature i assumed was satan in a small dogs body,
by the time i had finished constructing an enclosure for Demon i had very large gaping holes he had gnawed into the walls all the way to the granite stone blocks within that i had to plaster. im lucky the house isnt rented tbh. not even going to go into what he did to the family photo album...
i wouldnt say puppy dutch shepherds are comparable to GSD, they can be much much worse depending on the lines you get yours from. i didnt even think dogs, let alone puppies, were capable of that level of aggression and destruction. (demons a snuggle bug now, but wow those were hard days)
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
Tyler Durden
Puppy

Post by Tyler Durden »

Thanks guys, yeah I crate them at night time by my bed, at least for a few months and sometimes longer. My gsd girl still sleeps in my room in her crate. The lines are knpv lines, I definitely will get an ex pen. I'll take the advice of ed frawley and you guys and get the pen. I ordered a bunch of toys and tugs from leerburg, just stuff that my old dogs liked. Here's another question, I was told to not let the pup play too much with the older dog because they might get too attached, what are your thoughts on this?
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

I've never had to deal with it too much, I guess. We've always had multiple dogs, but they were all spread out a couple years. And the one pup I got in the thick of all that was always with me, so it wasn't a problem.
Form the stuff I've read, it seems kinda like...picking a best friend. Your pup must pick YOU as his or her best friend. And of course, leader.
I'm certain there's others on here that have personal and professional experience they can share.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Tyler Durden
Puppy

Post by Tyler Durden »

TimL_168 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:24 am I've never had to deal with it too much, I guess. We've always had multiple dogs, but they were all spread out a couple years. And the one pup I got in the thick of all that was always with me, so it wasn't a problem.
Form the stuff I've read, it seems kinda like...picking a best friend. Your pup must pick YOU as his or her best friend. And of course, leader.
I'm certain there's others on here that have personal and professional experience they can share.
Thanks, and thanks for reminding me about patience. It's the most important thing in raising dogs, and I'm sure even more so with this type of breed. I remember back in my younger days I wanted to strangle my GSD puppy because he was a possessed demon child, would attack me for months.
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

Update? How is the dutch? I agree with Tim, another dog helps so much, if it wasn't for the perfect situation I had when welcoming Duke to our place, things would have been so different - in a less fortunate way.

When I got him, I had 4 straight weekdays off, every week. Also, he had a 75lb shepherd lab to play with and role model. Also the amount of time I was able to be around to train, and get him comfortable being in the crate without feeling abandoned because I'd crash on the couch during those weekdays
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Lots and lots of Kong toys. Chewy has the best prices compared to Amazon, Pet Smart and Pet Co.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG