How Big Should A Five Month Old Puppy Be?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Randall
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a real estate investor and my wife is a pharmacist. We are pro-gun and love dogs (they sleep with us and are part of our family). We have a puppy who is 5 months as of this date 4-18-2011 (Thor).

Re: How Big Should A Five Month Old Puppy Be?

Post by Randall »

One More shameless post :) Image
What could be better than a large slavering monster that follows you everywhere and wants to lick you to death?
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Post by GSDNanny »

Lean is excellent. Too fat is never good no matter what a dog's age but especially in its growth state. So keep up the good work. I do a lot of raw too, venison and my guys are lean. No porkers here, except me!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

We like shameless!! :D

What an awesome looking guy!! :wtg: Get a "patriotic" pic with Thor and enter the photo contest!!
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Manstrom
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 23 year old military member who just got my first Dutch shepherd. I've grown up my whole life with various breeds and trained Rhodesian ridgebacks for several years prior to joining the service.

Post by Manstrom »

After reading these posts im definitely thinking Harvey is way younger than his rescue family said he was...
I was told he was 8 months old in the start of December when I got him but considering his ears dropped and are starting to come back up now I'm thinking more around 5-6 months now, give or take. Also considering he's at about 37lbs now while looking to be at a healthy proportion to his size.
Over all he's growing like a weed. Seems everyday I come home from work he seems to have grown a bit haha.
1358773570833.jpg
1358773570833.jpg (146.62 KiB) Viewed 7547 times
20130118_034308.jpg
20130118_034308.jpg (172.83 KiB) Viewed 7547 times
20130104_030846.jpg
20130104_030846.jpg (194.53 KiB) Viewed 7547 times
"A German Shepherd does what you tell it to, a Malinois does it before you tell it, a Dutch Shepherd does it before you think it"
-Harvey, DS puppy
-Paul, gsd/lab/? Mix
-RIP Chance, 12 year old rhodesian ridgeback
fatponies
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Licenced social worker who works hard helping people with addictions all day--I love my job and my clients but I can't wait to get home at the end of the day to spend some quality time with my dogs! My hubby and I have a small farm with horses, cats and our doggies-- A Malinois, Border Collie, the ever-enduring spirits of the greatest Golden Retreiver and Am Staff Terrier ever, and hopfully soon to adopt a Dutch Shepherd rescue!

Post by fatponies »

My new (foster) boy is about 10mo-1yr and already almost 85lbs! And he is thin. He does not appear to be a mix, very classic Dutchie, except for his giant size. He is 28" tall. I guess it depends on the breeding!
BryanKSchraven
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a newly proud owner of a 9 week old Dutch Shepherd.

Post by BryanKSchraven »

Heres Jax all tired out. 5 months old on May 17th. He is growing like a weed.
Attachments
2015-05-21 22.43.30.jpg
KellaA+dog6
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a married empty nester, who was lucky enough to stay home with kids, dogs, and cats when not traveling with husband.

Post by KellaA+dog6 »

In puppy growth charts, weight at 5 months is approximatly half adult weight.
Kella's Person Mara
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

i sure hope not, that would make demons eventual adult weight about 150lbs :shock: seeing as he was 73lbs at barely 5 months
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
KellaA+dog6
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a married empty nester, who was lucky enough to stay home with kids, dogs, and cats when not traveling with husband.

Post by KellaA+dog6 »

I Was looking at larger breed charts :oops: A mini dachshund site said double 12 week weight for approximate adult size. So, DS being in the middle, maybe about 4 1/2 months.
Kella's Person Mara
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Post by brindledog »

I know this is an old thread but I'm relieved to see someone else posted about their pup's size at 5 months! Grendel weighed in at 38.4 lbs. beginning of this week, which is just past the 5 month mark. People (who are not familiar with DS) keep expressing surprise at how small she is and saying she's probably not going to be more than 50lbs tops. Since she's 1/2 DS and 1/2 GSD, I did expect her to be larger by this age, but seeing this thread makes me think she is right on track to be about 60lbs. I was starting to worry that she was going to be a dwarf!!
I've heard several people say "look at the mini shepherd!" which I assume is because her proportions are oddly adult like already- she doesn't look all that puppyish.
utahbiker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a 5 month old fawn male DS named Kaboose! He's my trail dog and cuddle buddy.

Post by utahbiker »

Just wanted to add to the 5 month old weight stats. Seems like there is no standard weight, but Kaboose is 5 months and 2 days today and as of this morning, he weights 52 lbs

Here he is from the side, being very awkward, having no idea why I'm asking him to hold still for this picture

Attachments
20160616_083356-2.jpg
Kaboose aka Nightmare
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Post by brindledog »

Man, Grendel is a dwarf!
She is 7 months, 1 week today, and weighed just over 48 lbs on Monday.
On the other hand, she gained 4 lbs since coming home from trainer last week. Maybe she'll catch up.
Jlobes
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Previously had a DutchXMal and knew at that moment, they were the best dogs ever. Unfortunately, I lost her in an accident as a pup @9mo., but I was sold on the dutchies. I cant imagine having another breed, they are the total package dogs.

Got my boy FURY from Vrijheid. He was born 4/23/16 and i picked him up 6/29. Working on basics(OB, manners, etc), some NW and figuring out what we want to focus on for the future work.

Post by Jlobes »

im no expert, and Ill add in Furys weight when he gets to five months. However, I have often heard the:
double the weight at 4 months, plus 10# rule.

Not sure how accurate it is, but seems it might apply to DSD.
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Hmm never heard that rule
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

MultiPurposeK9 wrote:Hmm never heard that rule
I read it online somewhere and there was another one with some crazy math equation. I tried both for fun. The math equation one put Xander at 60 pounds grown. The one above put him at 70 pounds. He's 75 pounds. Pretty close I guess. I'm sure it's coincidence. But who knows.
Karen & Xander
aje_762
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hello. We're new Dutch Shepherd owners (or does he own us)....? Did our homework for a year before bringing our awesome fella home!

Post by aje_762 »

Hello All,

I just wanted to contribute to the puppy size database. My boy is a few days shy of his six month birthday, was weighed today and is (gasp) 65 pounds. Not entirely sure if that's considered normal given other people's experience.

First attempt at embedding Photobucket image: Image
-Gunner and Family
brindledog
Puppy

Post by brindledog »

I'm jealous. Grendel has turned out to be,a runt. At 8 months people constantly say "what a cute puppy." Granted, she IS still a puppy, but she looks like she's 6 months old. And since she just went into heat and hasn't gotten any taller in 2.5 months, I don't think she'll be having any growth spurts.
Has anyone here heard of a GSD or DS that stopped growing in height at 6 months?!