How Big Should A Five Month Old Puppy Be?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Randall
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a real estate investor and my wife is a pharmacist. We are pro-gun and love dogs (they sleep with us and are part of our family). We have a puppy who is 5 months as of this date 4-18-2011 (Thor).

How Big Should A Five Month Old Puppy Be?

Post by Randall »

"Thor" is five months and about 35 lbs, I am wondering if he is going to be a runt or if that is normal for this breed? How long will a Dutch Shepherd grow for?

We feed raw meat (1.5-2lb day mainly chicken and offal) to him and about 1-1.5C a day high end kibble in a toy that makes him work for each piece and helps keep him occupied.

He is quite slender and athletic without any real fat on him but looks healthy. I would just like a timeline for growth if you wouldn't mind sharing with me so that i can stop worrying...:)
:dschick:

Thanks!
What could be better than a large slavering monster that follows you everywhere and wants to lick you to death?
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Re: How Big Should A Five Month Old Puppy Be?

Post by Kristie E »

I got Gwen at six almost seven months old.... she was very leggy and weighed about 30lbs... She is a year and half now and weighs about 60lbs... My thoughts are that if you dog is eating well and isn't looking over weight, relax and enjoy the ride. :D
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
dutchringdog
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a single mom with two great children and a lovely DS

Post by dutchringdog »

I agree with Kristie, Sadie Is just comming 7 months and is abot 40lbs. its all leg though. No fat anywhere, except maybe some between her ears LOL. She is very lean. As long as she is happy, she will fill out when she gets older.
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
http://www.designsbyclyne.com
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Welcome Randall!
I see you have a nice intro in your profile 8-) but feel free to also put a short little intro in the introducion section.
As for size. I think 35 lbs for 5 months is stout, though not outrageous. I have no idea about the background of your pup, but if you know anything about the parents, you can of course expect your pup to end up in that size-neigborhood. We love pictures, BTW. ;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Pictures are always good, but what is with a human in your avatar????
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Pictures are always good, but what is with a human in your avatar????
:lol: Well dangit Lisa. He might not want us to think he's still a (5 month old) pup? :binkybaby:

;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

vneerland wrote:
Dutchringgirl wrote:Pictures are always good, but what is with a human in your avatar????
:lol: Well dangit Lisa. He might not want us to think he's still a (5 month old) pup? :binkybaby:

;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :dsshock:
ImageImage
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

The guy just likes to be original :roll: I was thinking of getting a cat in my avatar :dsshock: :player:
dutchringdog
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a single mom with two great children and a lovely DS

Post by dutchringdog »

Marjolein wrote:The guy just likes to be original :roll: I was thinking of getting a cat in my avatar :dsshock: :player:

Hmmmm, that would be funny!
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Ha ha your new avatar pic is funny and cute! What is that clinging to the branch? Is it trying to get away from Sadie or Thalie?
Sue (and Sugar)

Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

is it an owl??
dutchringdog
Green Dog

Post by dutchringdog »

hahahahaha, I really have no idea what it is, a friend of mine on FB posts really cute animal pictures. Sadie would probably be afraid of it and Thalie would walk by and go find her tennis ball
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

dutchringdog wrote:hahahahaha, I really have no idea what it is, a friend of mine on FB posts really cute animal pictures. Sadie would probably be afraid of it and Thalie would walk by and go find her tennis ball
Ok you brought it up... Gwen found a spider on the ceiling yesterday and went nuts.. my wonderful husband knocked it down on the floor and Gwen promptly ate it.... then she kept looking at the ceiling for it and sniffing the floor where she ate it.... :?
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

Kristie Elliott wrote:
dutchringdog wrote:hahahahaha, I really have no idea what it is, a friend of mine on FB posts really cute animal pictures. Sadie would probably be afraid of it and Thalie would walk by and go find her tennis ball
Ok you brought it up... Gwen found a spider on the ceiling yesterday and went nuts.. my wonderful husband knocked it down on the floor and Gwen promptly ate it.... then she kept looking at the ceiling for it and sniffing the floor where she ate it.... :?
ow juc!! Ivil likes to lick snails and frogs :yernuts:

:offtopic:
BishonVonAachen
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm a 22 year old part time student who recently got a dutch shepherd puppy who I would like to either do schutzhund with or possibly mondio ring with. He is about 5 months old and been so far trained purely using marker training without any corrections thus far. I am looking for some help with him as he is dog reactive when on leash, inside or in the car while driving.

Post by BishonVonAachen »

I would go with as long as he looks healthy then to just go with it and enjoy the puppy stage.They grow up so fast. My puppy was weighed and came in at 45lbs and is 5 months old. Though on a slightly unrelated note I have heard and been told that it is not recommended to feed raw and kibble at the same time. I currently feed honest kitchen as I'm getting ready to transition to raw so any information on that would be gladly appreciated.
Randall
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a real estate investor and my wife is a pharmacist. We are pro-gun and love dogs (they sleep with us and are part of our family). We have a puppy who is 5 months as of this date 4-18-2011 (Thor).

Post by Randall »

Just following up with the growth pattern and thought I would give an update on Thor at 6 days shy of 8 months. He is extremely agile, very loving, and weighs in at 60.5lbs.

I credit the raw meaty bones diet for his incredible health and overall growth. He is very lean and loves to play eating about 2-3lbs of meat a day (chicken backs & quarters, beef ribs, fish, pork necks and various cuts since we brought him home and weaned him off the kibble about 4.5 months ago. I think he went from being the runt of the litter to the dominant sized male :)

Lisa and I couldn't be happier with the breed and our pup. Sleeps with us every night and is very obedient and well behaved. Thanks for your support!

Randall :dschick:
What could be better than a large slavering monster that follows you everywhere and wants to lick you to death?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

wow, 60 lbs ! Great! New pictures ???
ImageImage
Randall
Just Whelped

Post by Randall »

trying to put pictures in but seem to be having some problems.. they are all too big and I am not sure how to add them but working on it.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

are you using an online photo storage? I use photobucket, then go to the picture and copy / paste the URL of the picture, make sure you have [img]picture%20url[/img]
ImageImage
Randall
Just Whelped

Post by Randall »

Image Here is my baby with a friend.

THis is my first attempt at pictures so I hope this works.. Posted pictures to photobucket and then placed the link here? Hope that is correct ;)