Teething sucks! Any advice?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Teething sucks! Any advice?

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Kapena is officially teething. We've got him plenty of chewables, and toys... I gave him some frozen seedless watermelon which was a huge hit! But he is unusually fussy and mopey. He vocalizes a lot! We do tire him out and check his teeth, he's gotten used to me looking in his mouth to see how things are going. What are your teething tips? This pic is after we tired him out. I think the rubber ball makes it feel better when he chews it, but he was so tired he couldn't even chew. He just sat there with it in his mouth and his tongue hanging through a hole in the ball. Lol!
FB_IMG_1500092548482.jpg
FB_IMG_1500092548482.jpg (297.47 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Teething sucks! Any advice?

Post by centrop67 »

Kong + Peanut Butter + Freeze
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dree_19
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Sporting a 3 pack on New England's coast.

Post by Dree_19 »

I just checked West's mouth- he has 2 new ones coming in. I didn't realize he was teething as it's been so hot the last week and I've been giving him raw frozen (cut) beef femur bones in his crate to cool down after play. Maybe this helped and he wasn't feeling the pain as much. Stuffed frozen kongs are good too.
"West" (Vrijheid's Xtreme DOB 4/9/17)
"Easton" (DDR GSD DOB 5/18/17)
"Chase" (Yorkanian?)
RIP Rocco & Lia GSD
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I will be using the frozen Kong advice when teething starts.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

I'm a little worried as Kapena has lost two of his teeth and the new ones haven't come in yet. We took the tuggie toys away but he still has his Kong's and red rubber ball you see in the above picture. Last night I went to grab his shotgun shell toy and it was bloody. It definitely freaked me out but my husband says it's normal. He'll be 5 months the end of August. There's a bit more blood than I'm used to during the teething process, I think he's agitating his gums with the rubberlike toys. Should I be freaking out? Cuz I'm freaking out. I am giving him frozen treats and honestly other than excessive saliva it doesn't seem to be affecting his behavior,he isn't showing signs of pain.
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

FB_IMG_1502659211749.jpg
FB_IMG_1502659211749.jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Did you get her the small size? Kapena is almost 5 mos. and definitely over 35 lbs... I'm buying one straight away!
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

DaHawaiianDS wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:24 pm
Did you get her the small size? Kapena is almost 5 mos. and definitely over 35 lbs... I'm buying one straight away!
Friend of ours gave it to us. I'd have check when I got home. I'm sorry :(
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
zxs107020
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dallas, TX. I have owned two dutch shepherds. Both were/are service dogs. I hope to trial in competitive obedience/tracking with my current puppy.

Post by zxs107020 »

lol- dont freak out about the blood! My puppy rag is spattered with blood all over from when Cleo was teething. She also used to bleed after chewing on the bone I would give her (bully sticks). She also had gaps after losing some teeth before the new ones came in so dont worry about that either. I think the real problem occurs when the tooth DOESNT fall out, and the new one comes in around it.
Aachen Cleopatra 2/15/17
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

We're fine now, except the hilarity that ensues because he can't keep his tongue in his mouth. It flops through the hole in the side of his snoot as he's running. Today I see new ones coming through too!
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

But it was a LOT of blood. Like dripping out the sides everywhere, etc. At least now his new ones are in we can play hard again!