When do you start scenario training?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

When do you start scenario training?

Post by Tyler Durden »

I've seen some people imprinting scenario training very early, like 3 months early. I've been doing bite training for about 3 months and it's all been bite development, he's 7 months old. Is it ok to begin scenario training like having them bark off an intruder? He is friendly to people but has a bit of sharpness.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: When do you start scenario training?

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Tyler Durden wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:50 pm I've seen some people imprinting scenario training very early, like 3 months early. I've been doing bite training for about 3 months and it's all been bite development, he's 7 months old. Is it ok to begin scenario training like having them bark off an intruder? He is friendly to people but has a bit of sharpness.
I do foundation work with my dogs when they are young then I put them up to mature... there's a very good saying the Germans taught when it comes to dog training especially in protection... just because it can do it doesn't mean it should!!! 7 months old is too you for scenario training.. the dog just begone to learn to bite... some may disagree with me but look what happened to Connor mcgregor you sent an amateur into a professionals world
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Re: When do you start scenario training?

Post by Tyler Durden »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:42 am
Tyler Durden wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:50 pm I've seen some people imprinting scenario training very early, like 3 months early. I've been doing bite training for about 3 months and it's all been bite development, he's 7 months old. Is it ok to begin scenario training like having them bark off an intruder? He is friendly to people but has a bit of sharpness.
I do foundation work with my dogs when they are young then I put them up to mature... there's a very good saying the Germans taught when it comes to dog training especially in protection... just because it can do it doesn't mean it should!!! 7 months old is too you for scenario training.. the dog just begone to learn to bite... some may disagree with me but look what happened to Connor mcgregor you sent an amateur into a professionals world
Well, a 0-0 fighter went 10 rounds with a 49-0 fighter who is supposedly the greatest of all time haha. But back on topic, can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "put them up to mature"? At what age do you stop bite development and at what age do you put them up? I know he's still a pup, he still has a long way to go to mature but I just wanted to show him that not all people are good, though he has shown a bit of sharpness towards a couple of seedy looking people at night.