Chewing

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Chewing

Post by Joxgirl »

Chewing up everything thing!!! Why now? Her puppy teeth fell out. New grew in. So why now? She ATE one of my sandals. My daughter suggests we donate the other shoe. “Well it’s new and there are people with only one foot.” My Work badge. Ya that locked me out of our parking lot too. Could not clock in... no money to buy dog toys with now Rogue. 😷. Mention of toys.... suddenly they all must be killed. 🙄 As I made up my face tonight before work, she started eating a brand new floor mat. As I carried in laundry from garage to kitchen.... short walk, she dug a hole!!! Ok that one counts under hole digging. Not chewing shit up.
Anyone with a chewer, right now? Raise your hand so I don’t feel alone. 😱
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Chewing

Post by centrop67 »

Crazy hour is coming!
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:12 am Crazy hour is coming!
:eek: so this is normal???? I’m getting a order of Elk antlers delivered on a regular schedule starting Sunday. She chewed through a toy that was built to last. Any other suggestions are welcome.
I can try to exercise her more. I’m thinking maybe 15 minutes every two to four hours hours on top of 30 minutes to 60 minutes in the morn and evening. * Due to the extreme heat recently we couldn’t go out to play until sunset *
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Excersize isn’t the answer! Lol you can always hit me up for help!!! 917-828-0680 😎🐾
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Joxgirl wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:42 am :eek: so this is normal????
I am afraid so. Radar slowed it down around the age of 3.

Do a search of this site for "Crazy Hour" - 74 hits, and the term comes up as early as 2012.

BTW: So far, they haven't gone completely away and Radar's 5 now.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Making him brain tired is the only way we've found to minimize it. He still has the crazies, but we play searching games and seekit so that I can control the situation, minimize damage and tire him out. The only things that do that are things that make him think and we can make progressively harder and harder so it doesn't lose it's shine.
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Until you call steve for help......................... Teach " out' and " leave it" Sadie tore apart everything, I had to watch her every second. Put her back on a leash. and make sure she has toys that work her brain. Work with her. It is normal, remember , these are working dogs who are supposed to be going all day. If you dont give them a job, they will make one.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

DaHawaiianDS wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:29 pm Making him brain tired is the only way we've found to minimize it.
:wtg:

I'll second that.

And, "Leave It" is a MUST, if you haven't already made this a part of the basic obedience.
Michael
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

a trainer is a MUST as well. Steve gave you his number hint hint
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

We have taught and use leave it and out. She is quick. She is in her pen when we can’t watch her. She has learned how to move her pen around the kitchen to get to what she wants this week. That’s how she got to my sandal and the mat and my badge.
I will give Steve a call this week.
Steve, I will be calling you. :music2:
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Looked up crazy hour. Lol. I am going to see if Rogue has a particular hour. Thanks for the heads up.... and you know I will be trying to find mental games for her. Sounds like fun.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG