Another "submissive" question

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Another "submissive" question

Post by Tyler Durden »

My boy is 9.5 months. He has this behavior that I'm trying to figure out;
He sees a dog, bolts 100 mph towards the dog and wrestles, rough-houses the other dog. That dog gets scared and barks and bites my pup, he doesn't seem fazed at all but he does fall on his back showing his stomach sometimes and especially when I get the leash on him. I'm wondering if my boy is just trying to show the other dog that he's not a threat or he's submissive. He does this with people sometimes as well, he runs toward someone and especially if they are being loud and zig zags between their legs. His hackles have NEVER once gone up in the 7 months I've had him. Even when he got bit by a pit bull he did not seem fazed and kept wanting to play. Just trying to figure this out.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Another "submissive" question

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

He’s being submissive.... it’s not over complicated that’s pretty much it... this happens from genetics and learned behaviors... both those factors play a role
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Post by Tyler Durden »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:59 pm He’s being submissive.... it’s not over complicated that’s pretty much it... this happens from genetics and learned behaviors... both those factors play a role
It's confusing because sometimes he shows dominant behavior as well. Like he would try to get the upper hand on a dog or person and bully them. Will this hurt his chances of being a good ppd?
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Tyler Durden wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:15 am
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:59 pm He’s being submissive.... it’s not over complicated that’s pretty much it... this happens from genetics and learned behaviors... both those factors play a role
It's confusing because sometimes he shows dominant behavior as well. Like he would try to get the upper hand on a dog or person and bully them. Will this hurt his chances of being a good ppd?

My only advice is he’s a puppy let him grow up!
Tyler Durden
Puppy

Post by Tyler Durden »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:19 pm
Tyler Durden wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:15 am

My only advice is he’s a puppy let him grow up!
Yes I know. I asked my trainer about this and after explaining every detail he said there's something called "calming" and that's what it sounds like to him. When the dog sees another dog being stressed out and afraid they can show their belly to calm the other dog down. It can be misread as submissiveness. He said that if he plays rough and tussles and doesn't care about getting bit then he does not have a confidence problem. I'll just wait and see. Thanks
DaHawaiianDS
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Proud owner of Kapena (DS), Shorty (Senior Dachshund), and Ember (dsh cat)

Post by DaHawaiianDS »

Kapena does this exact thing. My sister's dog Merlin is unsociable and wants to eat him basically.

And he's just a happy puppy tries to play and if the other dog gets too bossy he flips on his back and waits. Not at all worried about roughhousing or getting bit.
Proud Pack Mama of Shorty (Doxie, IVDD Senior), Ember (DSH Dilute calico once feral), and Kapena (DS puppers, snarky back talker extraordinaire)