Dutch Shepherd Tips?

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Grimm
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New to the DS Breed, hoping to get a puppy soon (:

Dutch Shepherd Tips?

Post by Grimm »

Hi all,

I was wondering if the "experts" could help me with this breed? I found them a few days ago and have seen them from a distance. Normally, I have German Shepherds but I'm really liking the Dutch. Can you give me the "Honest Truth" on the breed?

Also, any good breeders that you know of in Florida?

Thanks!
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Dutch Shepherd Tips?

Post by icvanstra »

Grimm,

From your login/posting information it looks like you are in the Carolina's...

Please take a moment or three and introduce yourself in the New Member Section. Also check out the FAQ and take a look at how to create a signature.

Please don't forget to always sign your posts.

For the "real" information about this breed it just takes a little time reading previous posts... In a nutshell, the DS is a hardworking dog. Not for everyone.

On this forum there are people who have working DS, sport DS, recreational DS and rescue DS....and sometimes something in between all of those.

In regards to your looking for a breeder. It would help everyone on the forum to know what you are planning on doing. Work, sport, show, pet, underwater basket weaving...
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

I tried the underwater basket weaving with Gwen ... It didn't work out so well.... :roll: :dsrazz:
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

ROTFL!!!!
Sue (and Sugar)

Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Kristie Elliott wrote:I tried the underwater basket weaving with Gwen ... It didn't work out so well.... :roll: :dsrazz:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :dssmile:
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

:twisted: Same here. While the basket weaving failed, the underwater dog heaving was a total succes. I have seen a fight in my large pond, where a brindle appeared to be drowned by a malinois. Come to find out, that brindle head under water, was pulling the legs out from under the malinois. DS 1. Malinois 0. :yernuts:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Kristie E
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Post by Kristie E »

this supports the notion that our furry striped buddies are thinking dogs... :twisted:
Kristie
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Kristie Elliott wrote:this supports the notion that our furry striped buddies are thinking dogs... :twisted:
What else is new...
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Grimm hasn't been back yet... hope we didn't scare him off...
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

lol, I was thinking the same.

Or maybe he wanted a dog that WAS able to basketweave underwater...
Sue (and Sugar)

dutchringdog
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am a single mom with two great children and a lovely DS

Post by dutchringdog »

Kristie Elliott wrote:I tried the underwater basket weaving with Gwen ... It didn't work out so well.... :roll: :dsrazz:

the basket weaving Sadie is doing well with ..... its the water part that she is having problems with....................... She dosnt know she can swim, Thalie has it down pat :dschick:
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
http://www.designsbyclyne.com
Kristie E
Training Dog

Post by Kristie E »

dutchringdog wrote:

the basket weaving Sadie is doing well with ..... its the water part that she is having problems with....................... She dosnt know she can swim, Thalie has it down pat :dschick:
You need to school her on blowing bubbles out her nose... you could start with her water bowl and work up to the bathtub ....
Kristie
debandmya
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: new dutch shep owner from Canada.Would like some advise on th4e pup.

Dutch Shepherd pups

Post by debandmya »

Hi All
We recently bought a young DS to rescue her from the person in possession of it. No real history on the pup. The vet gave her a clean bill of health. She was taken away from her mother and litter mates at about 6 weeks. The pup is now about 10 weeks old. We are doing a lot of working with her and she is going to a professional dog training academy in April.
She has a very aggressive streak. When she has one of these so called tantrums she will growl, snap and bite...Ive never seen anything like it. She is getting much better and her tantrums are fewer. Is this something that constant training will get rid of or will it be an on going problem?
thanks
Deb
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

Hello Deb,
Welcome here. Can you please take the time to introduce yourself briefly in the new member section? ;)

Though 6 weeks is pretty young, it is not totally unusual or detrimental to take pups away from the dam at that age. I wait until they are older, but I have had 6 week old pups who grew into fantastic adults with no problem.
The work you need to be doing right now is socializing, socializing and socializing. I am totally confused about the 'professional dog training academy' in a month from now though? What on earth are they going to accept a 12-14 week old pup for? :? Exposing her to the world should be your job? Nothing they can do at that age that would help more than you taking your pup everywhere that is safe (for her, vaccination wise) and introduce her to the wide world that she will have to face to become a balanced adult.
Hard to have an opinion about the 'tantrums' without seeing them, but it is not unheard of for a pup to act up.
If they are fear based, you have a huge problem and will need to socialize, socialize, socialize (hmmm, where did you hear that before?) and you will of course need to correct the behavior now. If they are because she wants to have her way in life, you will need to socialize :lol: and set boundaries about who makes the rules and who follows them. ;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
jjohnsice
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: jsut lost my maggie p of 14 yrs, never knew what breed she was until someone on a degenerative mylthopia noticed her pics and told me what she was. the most loyal, intelligent, athleic, loving dog a person could ever ask for.

Post by jjohnsice »

nothing is more rewarding than a well socialized dog..
john h
the departed maggie p