Too Excited To Sleep

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Too Excited To Sleep

Post by leih merigian »

So, Geyser puppy makes the long flight from Utah to central VA tomorrow, where I will be picking her up at Reagan National Airport. Unfortunately, she lands smack dab in the middle of DC rush hour, but I'll be too smitten to care :stickman: . I've never been to this airport, so it'll be something I can chalk up in the New Experiences column of Life :player: .

I have been busy as a happy termite for the past couple of weeks, getting everything ready for my new puppy. Cleaned out and organized the leash and training drawers today...I swear, I should never have to buy another leash! I couldn't believe how many I have; all different lengths and uses, of course, but still...lots of leashes.

And, even tho Geyser will be inheriting lots of great toys that still have pleny of play in them, of course, I've had to buy her some new ones that are her very own :roll: .

Had another New Experience today; used my jigsaw to cut a few crate mats out of one huge stall mat. OMG, was that a chore! That freaking rubber mat is so heavy and unwieldy. It didn't help that I didn't have the right kind of set up, table wise, to do the job. Fortunately, my spousal unit stood in as my assistant and we got the job done. (I need an emoticon for Tool Girl!)

OK then, I could go on, but I'll just shut up now :lol: . I have a feeling I won't be getting too much sleep tonite :yernuts: .

(Heather...how did your trip home go with Letty?)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Too Excited To Sleep

Post by icvanstra »

Most excellent! Watching the puppies play at training last weekend has me secretly thinking that I really could have another dog in my house. :eew:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

That's good news Leih. Do you know (by now) which one you are going to end up with?
I cannot believe that anyone can fly a dog this week, but that must be related to our current heatwave, with 101 as an actual temp and 110 to 116 for the heat index. :eek: We hope for pictures of your new baby starting tomorrow Leih. Have a safe trip.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Not positive, but I think she flew the pup in the cabin with her.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

icvanstra wrote:Not positive, but I think she flew the pup in the cabin with her.
Think, engage brain, then respond. 8-)

heather flew out to get her pup and bring it back...
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

icvanstra wrote: Think, engage brain, then respond. 8-)
What fun is that???
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.

Post by k9katet »

Yes, I flew Letty in the cabin under the seat in a Sherpa bag.

I think Geyser is flying in a climate control cargo part.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

k9katet wrote: I think Geyser is flying in a climate control cargo part.
DingDingDing! Heather wins!

I guess Continental is about the only airline that flies in this weather, given the climate controlled cargo. And, I'll be picking her up at baggage claim, rather than the cargo place (this really surprised me!). She'll be unloaded before other luggage or passengers :wtg: .

We're in a freaking drought here in VA, and of course, we've got thunderstorms on and off all day today between here and DC :yernuts: . That's fine, I'll be grinning like an idiot (or is that 1-D-10? whatever that was, eric :whistle: ) the whole way there and back, I'm sure...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
k9katet
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".

Post by k9katet »

Good luck today, Leih! Geyser is super cute and super sweet.
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

leih merigian wrote:
k9katet wrote: I think Geyser is flying in a climate control cargo part.
DingDingDing! Heather wins!

I guess Continental is about the only airline that flies in this weather, given the climate controlled cargo. And, I'll be picking her up at baggage claim, rather than the cargo place (this really surprised me!). She'll be unloaded before other luggage or passengers :wtg:
I am not sure if climate control has anything to do with it. ;) All airlines have climate control for the cargo section where animals would travel. (They would die otherwise at high altitude) I have flown many dogs over time and if the outside (!) temperature anywhere along the route (transfer) ecxeeds a set limit (high or low) you cannot fly. Some do not fly (dogs) in summer at all. Others wing it a little more, but if you were to fly into an airport that is in the 100's, I fiecely doubt they would allow it anywhere.
Safe travels and a smooth ride to Leih and Geyser today. A (new) family at last.
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

Although Continental is a huge hassle to fly with here in Indianapolis, I have have heard good things about how they ship animals.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Thanks everyone...hitting the road in minutes (at last!)
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
k9katet
Training Dog

Post by k9katet »

Post lots of pics when you can Leih!
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

k9katet wrote:Post lots of pics when you can Leih!
Do you have room to talk? :mrgreen: :P
k9katet
Training Dog

Post by k9katet »

I posted a pic under a new thread. :) I need a better camera that can catch motion. My only pics are of when she is sleeping. I need to find a place to upload pics so that I can link to them. Hmm, maybe I'll do that now.
asheleylane
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Asheley Winters, have had Dutch Shepherds for 12+ years!

Post by asheleylane »

Amazingly, Continental Cargo does ship dogs year round. Judith, you are right about the temp. regulations and really that is an FAA reg. so it is pretty standard. Continental gets around it I think by doing the transport from cargo (indoors) to plane hold inside A/C vehicles instead of the normal open baggage vehicles. So they can say it is ALL climate controlled.
Yaaaay everyone home safely (besides the TWO puppies we have to raise).
Asheley